Happy Monday! If Monday can ever be happy?! I think Sunday night is worse.:)
2 weeks ago Canada celebrated Thanksgiving. Meet our dinner – healthy chicken thighs stuffed with feta and dill, rolled in Panko breadcrumbs and baked for only 25 minutes. Super easy baked chicken roll ups. I haven’t done roll ups in years and was intimidated at first, for no reason. You don’t even need to use toothpicks – stuffed chicken roll ups won’t unroll.
If you are like me and can’t handle eating huge turkey 2 months in a row or just don’t have a big crowd to serve, then these baked chicken roll ups would be perfect for your Thanksgiving table paired with root vegetable mash or bacon mashed potatoes as a side.
I love feta with dill, and I love Spanakopita. Hey, I’m Ukrainian and we add dill to almost anything, just like garlic. Dill with feta and garlic is a killer combination. Stuffed inside sweet and soft chicken = double awesomeness.
Melted cheese with garlic herbs inside, juicy and tender meat with crunchy outside. You like my description?! Perfect fancy and quick main dish. And it’s 100% clean. Alex loved it. What Alex doesn’t like though?! But seriously, butter & heavy cream lovers guests approved too. I could tell they meant it! You know what I mean. Serving clean meals to some people is intimidating…for me.
Feel free to use chicken breasts, just slice them lengthwise in 2 or 3 slices, depending on the breast size. Use fat free feta if you wish. I don’t count calories anymore, I just eat clean and whole. Whole wheat breadcrumbs are great too. When rolling, just make sure all sides are tucked in and meat is holding the stuffing inside. It’s OK if some leaks out while baking. Your chicken will be fine.:)
- 12 chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup dill, finely chopped
- 1 egg, large
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thick with meat tenderizer. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add feta cheese, dill, egg, garlic, onion powder & black pepper. Mix to combine. Place a heaping tablespoon of mixture on each piece of chicken. Roll up from a short side and tuck in the the ends on both sides. No need to secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, combine coating ingredients and in another shallow bowl mix the egg wash ingredients. Dip each roll up into the egg wash and then roll in the breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess.
- Place seam side down on a baking sheet, leaving 1-2" space between them, and bake for 25 minutes, uncovered. Serve warm or cold.
Servings Per Recipe: 12 roll ups
Amount Per Serving = 1 roll up:
Total Fat: 5.1 g
Cholesterol: 86.7 mg
Sodium: 230.9 mg
Total Carbs: 3.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 18.1 g
WW Points+: 3