If you are looking for healthy breakfast ideas, look no further. These banana oat protein muffins made with mashed banana, plant based protein powder and rolled oats offer a complete breakfast on the go. Also vegan and gluten free. Ever since I started using MyFitnessPal app to make sure I eat balanced, I was completely blown away how easy I over consumed carbs and didn’t get enough protein. Especially at breakfast time.
That’s how these clean eating banana protein muffins were created. With 3 g of healthy fats, 9 g of complex carbs and 4 g of protein, these individual baked oatmeal cups truly offer a complete breakfast. And note only 2 g of sugar, naturally occurring, versus commercial oatmeal packets and protein bars with processed sugars and chemicals like aspartame and sucralose (so popular Quest bars fall into this category).
I try to get majority of my daily carbohydrates intake before late afternoon, to fuel me for the day and not for the bedtime.:) These banana oat protein muffins are perfect for your morning commute to work, kids’ school lunches or for a crazy mom like me, who is often eating breakfast while doing 10 things at a time. They taste divine with a cup of coffee. I usually have 2.
These banana oat protein muffins taste like my healthy banana bread with a chewy texture of an oatmeal. They are absolutely moist, simply delicious and couldn’t be easier to make. Double or triple the batch and freeze for later. I used Sunwarrior protein powder. Lately, I also have been enjoying Vega Sport. You can use whey protein. I wouldn’t recommend using any “weird” chalky tasting protein powders like hemp or pea.
Banana Oat Protein Muffins
- 3/4 cup mashed overripe banana (1 1/2 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats (use gluten free for GF version)
- 1/2 cup vanilla plant-based protein powder (I used Sunwarrior)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Extra banana slices, for decorating
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, milk, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add oats, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and gently stir until combined. Fill each tin 2/3 full and top with banana slice (if desired). Bake for 15 minutes and then broil for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and muffins are ready to eat immediately. Serve warm or cold.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 3.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 122.8 mg
Total Carbs: 9.6 g
Sugars: 2.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 4.5 g
WW Points+: 2