I’m not a complicated breakfast person and if neither are you, then you will love this healthy and easy Bird’s Nest Eggs breakfast recipe! Organic egg and extra egg whites panfried with spinach, onion and bell pepper in a tomato paste sauce.
Previously, I was scared of the eggs because of the fat and cholesterol content. Last week I was reading a Clean Eating magazine issue and came across famous Tosca Reno bragging how she eats eggs every day?! Apparently, egg yolk contains 90% of egg’s calcium and iron, as well as “dietary cholesterol” that increases good cholesterol, HDL, and is different from the “blood cholesterol”. And then egg whites are full of protein. That’s why I poured some extra.:)
To sum it all up, eggs for breakfast keep you full longer all day long thus helping the weight loss. They are also full of iron, zinc and phosphorus and could prevent breast cancer. On the other note, you could skip the egg overall, and make the recipe only with egg whites, or try my egg white scramble.
And then come veggies. Chances are you don’t eat spinach for breakfast unless you are juicing or making superfood green smoothie. This breakfast recipe provides you with 3 big handfuls of a miracle green – spinach. Full of iron, vitamins A, K, C, E, calcium and cancer fighting abilities.
Save time by buying washed organic baby spinach and cutting the vegetables the night before. You could even prep the veggies for a couple of days and refrigerate in a sealed container.
I strongly believe in organic food particularly dairy and meat if budget allows. I always buy organic eggs from a local store or a farmer. There is an old German lady in my town and every time I drive by her house, I stock up on wonderful fresh organic eggs. They are even different in size.:)
And making the Bird’s Nest Eggs is really fun! Kids love to help! Enjoy!
Looking for more healthy recipes with eggs? Try my sweet potato and eggs one pan dinner.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 handfuls spinach
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preheat small skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onions and pepper, cook stirring until golden brown. Add spinach and cook a bit more until it's wilted. Add tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Make a "hole" in the centre of the skillet.
- Crack the egg in the "hole" using the back side of a knife.
- Pour egg whites around the egg but still in the "hole".
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the eggs are ready. Add freshly ground black pepper on top. Serve immediately.
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 5.3 g
Cholesterol: 186.0 mg
Sodium: 298.9 mg
Total Carbs: 7.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 15.4 g
WW Points +: 3