This black bean brownies recipe is THE BEST brownies recipe I ever tried! Better than any butter+sugar brownies because they are sugar free black bean brownies! I held off making black bean brownies for a while because I knew they wouldn’t have a crust on top like the unhealthy versions. WHO CARES?! It didn’t matter. We gobbled up the whole pan in 24 hours.
Fudgy, moist and with a distinct chocolate flavour (thanks to coffee). And even sort of a crust on top. To die for black bean brownies recipe! Trust me. And nobody will ever be able to tell they are made with beans. Which means no flour = gluten free.
And all it takes to pulse the batter in a food processor and mix in chocolate chips. No melting or whipping with a mixer any ingredients. I’m pretty sure you could get away with an egg replacer and make this black bean brownies recipe vegan.
You need a food processor or a good blender like Ninja Ultima. I recently got it for a review and can’t say enough good things about it. On Sunday, I made 3 smoothies, these brownies and muffins using the blender.
After the batter is blended pour it into prepared square dish. I used metal 8″ x 8″ but you use what you have. I’ve seen readers baking Cauliflower Crust Pizza in a rectangular baking dish => why not?!
Instead of sugar I used dates. I just can’t get over baking with sugar. That’s why you need a good blender or food processor to chop up those dates. I used regular pitted dates, not Medjool. Medjool dates are larger in size, so use less.
Alternatively, if you don’t own a powerful appliance, you could finely chop the dates. Or use a regular blender. It works and would make brownies a bit chewy. Mmmmmm, I should try that.
Mix in some chocolate chips and sprinkle on top. 30 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees F and your brownies are ready.
No need to check with a toothpick as we want them to be moist and fudgy with sexy crinkles on top. And then slice. I used wet long fillet knife. You can moisten it with water before each cut for a cleaner look.
I could care less. This was the messiest and the most delicious photo shoot ever! I was licking my fingers and a knife as well.
These healthy brownies contain a whopping 3 g of fiber and only 11 g of sugar. Low in carbs, fat and only 3 Weight Watchers Points+. Really clean and healthy treat for the whole family. They are also freezer friendly and stay fresh in a fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Black Bean Brownies Recipe Video
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 15 small or 10-12 Medjool dates, pitted (1/2 cup packed)
- 2 tbsp brewed coffee (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients, except chocolate chips, to a powerful blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir to mix. Pour batter into baking dish, top with 1/4 cup chocolate chips and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let brownies cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing. Cut into 16 squares.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Amount Per Serving = 1 brownie:
Total Fat: 4.4 g
Cholesterol: 23.3 mg
Sodium: 87.0 mg
Total Carbs: 18.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
Sugars: 11 g
Protein: 2.8 g
WW Points+: 3