I have a broiled asparagus with garlic recipe for you that keeps your hands oil free and mess to a minimum. And it is so easy, my 9 year old makes it! Not to mention that all you need is 5 ingredients 4 of which are asparagus itself, oil, salt and pepper. The 5th one is garlic and there is no way around it because I am Ukrainian.
This broiled asparagus comes out crunchy and still tender. The only way anyone should be eating asparagus. No mushy boiled mess like I used to make at 25.
Broiled asparagus goes back to my university years. I was studying business with a Russian girl, Natasha. She taught me a cool trick how to season asparagus without getting my hands oily. She placed asparagus and seasonings in a rectangular plastic Ziplock container, covered with a lid and shook gently. Then she microwaved it in the same container.
Well, needless to say we are NOT going to microwave any recipe on iFOODreal (I do not even own a microwave anymore). I have this rectangular Glasslock storage container with a lid (I bought mine way cheaper at Costco) and that is what I used to season asparagus and broiled in it as well. However, a few readers have reported that this glass baking dish can shatter, so from now on I will be using a ceramic baking dish.
Broiled Asparagus with Garlic
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed & washed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Scant 1/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium-large rectangular baking dish place asparagus. Drizzle with oil, top with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place lid on top (if dish has one) or wrap with foil or plastic wrap and holding by the ends shake and toss dish until asparagus is coated evenly with seasonings. Takes a minute or so.
- Turn broiler on High. Remove lid (foil or plastic) from the dish and place it 5-6 inches below the broiler. Broil for 7 minutes (I have gas) or start checking after 5 minutes. Asparagus is cooked when al dente, crunchy but softer. Just taste test one. Serve with fish, chicken, pork etc.