In the past few weeks, me and Alex got sooooo tired of an oatmeal for breakfast. In any shape or form. I have bought a tub of cottage cheese with intentions of making a crustless zucchini quiche but then remembered last time it gave me some stomachache (I suspect too heavy on dairy). So, I thought why not to make brown rice pudding instead that we could enjoy for breakfasts?! Similar to this Steel Cut Oats and Quinoa Bake but without oats.
My dad (in the short 6 years he was in my life) used to make the most delicious melt in your mouth rice pudding with butter, milk and sugar, of course. I thought to recreate it but with brown rice instead, and cottage cheese goes in for more protein. I used long grain brown rice but I think short brown rice will be even better as it tends to stick together more and get mushy. Next time I will try to blend cottage cheese with a blender for a smoother consistency.
I didn’t use sugar but rather raw local honey from a nearby farm that uses no pesticides on its fields. Did you know it could be a cure for allergies?! Honey has to be local though. Instead of butter I use a few tablespoons of coconut oil, however feel free to use butter. There is nothing wrong with organic (preferably pasture raised or grass fed, if you can find it) butter in moderation
This brown rice pudding came out fantastic from a first try. It is perfect for busy mornings and especially Back to School season that is almost upon us (yay!). Ingredients are extremely simple, it takes only minutes to put together and the rest of work is done in the oven. My preference is to top pudding with a dollop of yogurt and frozen or fresh fruit and berries. Can be eaten cold or hot. We all loved it!
- 1 1/2 cups any brown rice, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 18 oz tub cottage cheese (I used 2%)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Rinse rice well with cold water and drain. Add to a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray 8 x 8 square baking dish with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl add eggs, milk, honey, cottage cheese, coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt and stir well to combine. Add pre-cooked rice and stir again. Transfer to prepared baking dish, level with spatula and bake uncovered for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 45 - 60 minutes. Cut into 9 slices and serve hot, warm or cold with a dollop of yogurt and fruit/berries if desired. You can also dig in with a spoon right away. The bake won't be completely set but still delicious.
Servings Per Recipe: 9
Amount Per Serving = 1 slice:
Total Fat: 7.0 g
Cholesterol: 48.0 mg
Sodium: 292.6 mg
Total Carbs: 33.9 g
Sugars: 9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 11.1 g
WW Points+: 6