5 ingredient and 20 minute clean dinner that tastes like the best takeout!
This dish was delicious and scrumptious! You wouldn’t feel like you are eating a clean meal but you are! It tastes like the best Chinese takeout in town, similar to sweet and sour chicken, with crunchy broccoli, nutty quinoa and zesty green onion. I know, Chinese cuisine has nothing to do with Frank’s Red Hot Sauce but that’s what I felt like.
I am trying really hard to share my simple dinners with you. The truth is quite often I make quick skillets that I think are too simple to even call a recipe or don’t look that pretty. But they are lean, healthy, delicious and are a food I really eat more often than any other fancy meal. Would you like to see more of protein and vegetables quickly thrown together dinners? They are more of a fit food, meal prep type. Let me know.
So, this Buffalo Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa is kind of a quick dinner but still on a fancy side for me. If you know what I mean?! It is pretty clean but I wouldn’t eat it every night because it has honey. Although, it ends up being only 1.5 tsp of it per serving but sugar is sugar.
Even fruits are sugar. Good for you sugar with nutrients and vitamins but I have learnt if I want to lean out, I have to cut down on sugar. I limit my daily fruit intake to an apple or a cup of berries, plus a bit of sugar here and there, like in this dish, for example. I would eat it for dinner but not twice a day. I hope this was a helpful insight and not too confusing.
This chicken skillet needs only 5 ingredients that more likely you have on hand right now and 20 minutes.
Perfect easy weeknight dinner with leftovers for lunch or to freeze. It is a great meal prep recipe as well.
There is a lot of sauce that consists mainly of tomato paste, honey, red hot sauce and meat juice that is released during the cooking process.
Then I added a lot of broccoliI to compensate for honey, kidding but not, and topped with scallions. It was to die for! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into 1" pieces
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce (or to taste)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Quinoa, cooked as per package instructions
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cups broccoli florets (raw, frozen or cooked)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk tomato paste, honey or maple syrup, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium high heat, add chicken and sauce, and stir. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare quinoa as per package instructions.
- Remove lid, add broccoli and stir. Cover and cook for 3 - 4 minutes (raw broccoli), 2 - 3 minutes (frozen broccoli) or 1 minute (cooked broccoli). I like broccoli cooked but still crunchy. For well done vegetables increase cooking time by a few minutes. Serve hot over a bed of quinoa, garnished with green onions. Adjust hot sauce to taste. This recipe is mild.
I have included nutritional info separately, so you can build your meal.
Nutritional Info (Buffalo Chicken and Broccoli)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 + 1/3 cups:
Total Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 73.3 mg
Sodium: 667.8 mg
Total Carbs: 17.2 g
Sugars: 13 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 35.2 g
WW Points+: 5
Nutritional Info (Quinoa, cooked)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Amount Per Serving = 0.5 cup:
Total Fat: 2.5 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 2.0 mg
Total Carbs: 30.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
Protein: 7.0 g
WW Points+: 4