Eliminating added sugar (I mean honey and maple syrup) from my diet has worked very good – I lost 2 lbs in the past month. So, I continue on cooking mostly savoury recipes: cheesy cauliflower rice with zucchini, Thai cauliflower rice, zucchini bake.
However, I finally perfected the best in the world whole wheat flour banana bread made with only 1/3 cup honey. I had my 9 year old re-make it yesterday and it came out as beautiful and as delicious as Starbucks’ loaf. Somehow their baked goods look always so appetizing to me.
I had cauliflower risotto on my mind for months now as I’m trying to incorporate more vegetables into our dinners in other ways besides salads and green smoothies. I had a vision of a cauliflower risotto without rice and with a lot of brown mushrooms (check out my collection of cauliflower rice recipes).
This cauliflower mushroom risotto is quick enough for a light weeknight dinner because riced cauliflower cooks 3 minutes vs. rice that takes 40 minutes. You do need a food processor to make “rice” from a cauliflower, or you can buy cauliflower rice at Trader Joe’s, Walmart, Costco etc. ! bag of “rice” replaces a medium head of cauliflower.
I would serve this low carb cauliflower risotto with almond crusted chicken. Mmmmmm.
- 1 small (2 lbs) head of cauliflower, cut into large florets*
- 1.5 lbs brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- In a food processor, add cauliflower in batches and process until “rice” forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium - high heat and add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes or until a bit golden, stirring frequently and watching closely not to burn. Transfer to another medium bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, saute for 3 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add cooked mushrooms, cauliflower “rice”, broth, salt, pepper and cheeses. Stir, cover and cook for about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot with chicken of choice (I like almond crusted chicken).
*Or use a bag of store bought cauliflower rice. If using frozen, add a few minutes to cooking time.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 2.3 g
Cholesterol: 3.7 mg
Sodium: 358.8 mg
Total Carbs: 16.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g
Protein: 9.7 g
WW Points+: 3