This cheesy cauliflower rice is a perfect way to use up summer’s bounty and “eat your vegetables” (and “have your cheese”). I came across “California snow” at Costco the other day and my fridge is overflowing with first local organic zucchini. If a cup of cheese helps us eat 7 cups of vegetables, so be it, correct?!
This sauteed cauliflower and zucchini recipe comes together in minutes, takes 15 minutes to make, requires ingredients you more likely already have on hand, and keeps kitchen relatively cool. It is similar to a cauliflower risotto and other cauliflower rice recipes. Let’s dive in.
How to Make Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
Start by grating zucchini – I usually line a large bowl with linen towel, place grater inside, shred zucchini, then twist the linen towel in the knot at the top and squeeze. Zucchini doesn’t have to be dry-dry like cauliflower for cauliflower pizza crust recipe, but more liquid out now, less liquid in final dish (which, honestly, I don’t care about).
Cauliflower “rice” is essentially ground cauliflower which you can buy pre-made at many stores (Trader Joe’s and Costco for sure) . Or simply make your own by placing cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Buy 2 lbs head of cauliflower to count in the leaves and stalk.
Tip: store-bought riced cauliflower spoils within a few days, so freeze if not planning on using right away.
Grate garlic (I used elephant (fresh) garlic which is milder than Russian or Italian) and make a slurry.
Once all ingredients are ready, cheesy cauliflower rice comes together within 5 minutes.
Sauté garlic in a bit of oil.
Add riced cauliflower and oregano, sauté a few minutes.
Add slurry and shredded squeezed zucchini, stir, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Good thing about dutch oven is that it cooks food evenly, but heavy bottom pot or deep skillet will work too, however it might take a bit longer.
Yes, you can use pre-sliced cheese if that’s all you have got. I started shredding it at first but then I threw in a towel, sliced it into strips and it worked! All cheese has melted. The key fro tasty cheesy cauliflower rice is flavourful hard cheese like Gruyere, Gouda or Swiss; no Mozzarella please!
Add cheese, cover, and let cauliflower rice stand covered with heat off for a few minutes.
Voila! Enjoy a bit of cheese and eat your cauliflower and zucchini too.
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice and Zucchini
- 2 lbs zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 1.5 lbs cauliflower “rice” *
- 3 large garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup any broth**
- 2 tbsp whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp organic dried oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup flavourful hard cheese like Gruyere, Gouda or Swiss, shredded or cubed
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish (optional)
- Place shredded zucchini in a linen towel and squeeze well. I usually line a large bowl with linen towel, place grater inside, shred zucchini, then twist the towel in the knot and squeeze. Rice cauliflower and shred/cube cheese if necessary. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk broth, flour, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat large dutch oven, heavy bottom pot or skillet on high heat and swirl oil to coat. Add 2 garlic cloves and cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Add cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and slurry (give it a good whisk one more time), stir well, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off heat, add remaining garlic and cheese, stir, cover and let stand for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Give another good stir and serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh basil which was super tasty.
*Cauliflower “rice” is essentially ground cauliflower which you can buy pre-made at many stores. Or simply make your own by placing cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Buy 2 lbs head of cauliflower to count in the leaves and stalk. **I didn’t have broth, so I diluted a bit of miso paste in hot water.