These cheesy green beans were supposed to be cheesy and bubbly. And quick, easy & low fat vegetarian recipe. And that’s exactly how they turned out.
French style green beans and cauliflower covered in cheese sauce made with garlic and paprika. Healthy vegetarian recipe that kids will love. Moms will love it too: 199 calories & 5 Weight Watchers points+!
And garlicky…I used about 8 medium garlic cloves and trust me, it wasn’t too much. Just about right.
I believe that putting garlic through the garlic press is the way to go as you get as much flavour as possible. When you chop garlic on a cutting board the oils/liquid stay on the board along with the flavour. Although certain recipes rely on flavours from the roasted garlic. Then I slice it.
I use garlic press directly over the pan, pot or a bowl. And it’s not a pain to wash. I just rinse it under running water right away.
I also avoid garlic and any food from China as much as I can (I have lack of trust in their food control). In summer I stock up on a locally grown garlic. The other day I finally found garlic grown in the US, from Christopher Ranch, at Thrifty Foods. Trust me, it was a challenge.
I love this photo. Veggies wrapped in cheese like in spider webs. I literally stirred the pot probably around 20 times and took 15 photos!
I lifted the spoon about 30 times. I was in love!
The day I came up with this dish was the day I got tired of veggies drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was time for cheesy vegetables!
My mom was visiting and I really wanted to impress her one more time before she left. Although it wasn’t totally necessary.
Let me tell you that my mom is a cheesecake, apple turnovers, sponge cake person. So, her liking my healthified creations meant a lot. Kids approved it too!
Spring is officially here and you will see a lot of “green” recipes on my blog in the nearest month or so.
I have to admit – I fell of the wagon a bit. Me and Alex weren’t eating as clean as usual in the last couple of weeks. And we both can feel and see a slight change in our bodies. I baked a lot of healthy stuff but ate too much of it. Weight Watchers is right – portion control.:) So, we are back on track now. Working out regularly, eating clean and drinking Greena Coladas.
Yesterday I had a Meatless Friday. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I had a day without eating meat or fish. Although I used to be a vegetarian for a year back in 2006. From now on, I will try to have a day without meat 2 times a week.
Just a note, I tried to use almond milk instead of cow’s milk and didn’t like it. Maybe because the milk was vanilla flavoured?!:) But still, I didn’t like it.
And in case you are wondering what is this “annoying” green spatula, it’s from Trudeau. It’s my favourite one! I rarely use wooden or metal spoons or spatulas.
1 lb green beans
1 head or 1.5 lbs cauliflower
3/4 cup skim milk
2 cups low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tsp coconut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
8-10 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste (I added 1/5 of tsp)
1. Cut cauliflower into small floret size pieces…
2. Trim and cut green beans into 1.5-2 inch size pieces…
3. Bring medium pot with water to boil. Add a pinch of salt, green beans and cauliflower and boil for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are al dente. You want them to be crunchy and not mushy. Drain and set aside.
4. Heat coconut oil in a medium size pot. Add garlic and onion. Sautee until golden brown.
5. Add milk, flour and paprika and cook for 1 minute mixing with a whisk. Add cheese and mix again.
Cover and cook on low for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. The cheese will melt and the sauce will be ready. It will look like this…
6. Add vegetables and gently mix to combine. Cover, remove from heat and let the ingredients merry together for a couple minutes before serving.
Serve warm to enjoy the cheesiness of this dish. I liked it cold too but it wasn’t cheesy of course.
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 head or 1.5 lbs cauliflower
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 cups low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8-10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste (I added 1/5 of tsp)
- Cut cauliflower into small floret size pieces.
- Trim and cut green beans into 1.5-2 inch size pieces.
- Bring medium pot with water to boil. Add a pinch of salt, green beans and cauliflower and boil for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are al dente. You want them to be crunchy and not mushy. Drain and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium size pot. Add garlic and onion. Sautee until golden brown.
- Add milk, flour and paprika and cook for 1 minute mixing with a whisk. Add cheese and mix again.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. The cheese will melt and the sauce will be ready.
- Add vegetables and gently mix to combine. Cover, remove from heat and let the ingredients merry together for a couple minutes before serving.
- Serve warm to enjoy the cheesiness of this dish. I liked it cold too but it wasn't cheesy of course.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 7.3 g
Cholesterol: 20.6 mg
Sodium: 410.6 mg
Total Carbs: 15.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.5 g
Protein: 15.8 g
Weight Watchers Points+: 5
Weight Watchers Points: 4