This chicken and zucchini is a variation of my black bean quinoa casserole with added chicken for a protein boost and quinoa replaced by zucchini. Everything is cooked within 30 minutes, right in one pan. Tender chicken breast, soft black beans, sweet corn and zucchini, which is added at the very end to preserve the crunchiness.
This dish was delicious! Cooked with diced tomatoes, cumin, taco seasoning, topped with cheese and fresh herbs. I added just a cup of shredded organic Colby Jack cheese and a few handfuls of cilantro and green onions. Fresh herbs are a great way to add flavour to any dish without extra calories.
One Pan Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 cup Tex Mex or Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet on low - medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent. Add bell pepper and saute for a few more minutes. Move mixture to a side of the skillet and add chicken. Sprinkle with 1 tsp cumin, salt and black pepper. Saute until a bit golden brown, about 5 -7 minutes.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, taco (fajita) seasoning and remaining cumin. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and stir. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Top with green onions and cilantro. Serve hot, on its own or with brown rice or quinoa.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 + 2/3 cups:
Total Fat: 8.3 g
Cholesterol: 51.8 mg
Sodium: 774.5 mg
Total Carbs: 21.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.7 g
Protein: 26.9 g
WW Points+: 6