I got home from an evening workout and Alex jumped in a garage screaming “Crazy chicken!”. As soon as I stepped in the kitchen, oldest one requested it for Christmas Eve dinner (I was planning seafood though). Youngest one’s opinion doesn’t count – he would eat cereal 3 times a day if I let him.
Just FYI, any cheese is totally Clean Eating compliant if it is eaten in moderation and preferably is organic or grass-fed. I eat brie cheese about 3 – 4 times a year. Especially with a glass of wine and I’m in heaven.
So, my brie stuffed chicken was a hit! Stuffed meat recipes are always a hit though, don’t you agree?! This idea came to me out of necessity to use up leftover brie from Thanksgiving table. You know you can freeze cheese?! Then I thought sweet dried cranberries and earthy spinach would compliment brie perfectly.
I have to admit that stuffed chicken looks more complicated than it is. I get intimidated by it myself but in reality it is quick! I’m happy that my blog pushes me out of my comfort zone in the kitchen – our menu is so versatile.
I had 2 huge chicken breasts that I cut into 6 tenders. Cut each tender lengthwise but not through. Tenderize a bit, stuff, wrap in a kitchen twine. I was concerned brie cheese would melt and leak out but the juices created the most delicious sauce you pour on chicken and a side you serve chicken with. Man, this brie stuffed chicken was outstanding!
Enjoy and tag your creations #ifoodreal on Instagram so I can check them out.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 5 oz Brie cheese, cut into 6 long slices
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp coconut or avocado oil, divided
- 6 oz spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, dried (I used sweetened)
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut chicken into 6 tenders. Slice each tender lengthwise in the middle but not through. Open flat and tenderize a bit. Set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add garlic and onion, saute until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, cranberries, thyme, salt and pepper; saute for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide spinach mixture into 6 piles. In the middle of a flat open chicken tender, place a slice of brie and 1/6th spinach stuffing next to it. Fold in half, tuck in the ends (if possible) and wrap tightly with kitchen twine. Repeat with remaining chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Return skillet to medium heat and swirl remaining 1 tsp of oil. Add stuffed chicken and sear for about 3 minutes per side. If your skillet is oven proof (I use green pan) cover it or transfer chicken to a baking dish (and cover), and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let chicken stand 5 minutes and remove the twine. Serve hot with a side of choice (brown rice, quinoa, potatoes etc.) spooning juices on top.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 piece with juices:
Total Fat: 9.7 g
Cholesterol: 97.0 mg
Sodium: 469.0 mg
Total Carbs: 9.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 40.5 g
WW Points+: 7