I made this Chicken with Artichokes last week before we headed to Whistler and my kids said: “Mom, this tastes like a Thanksgiving dinner!”. Probably because I served it with Turkey Bacon and Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes with all the artichoke gravy flowing and mixing with potatoes. We had it at the lake and all my boys loved it. There were plenty leftovers as well.
A few years ago I had one of the moms for a playdate and she mentioned she is making Artichoke Chicken for dinner. That sounded very delicious and easy to me. Now after I made this recipe and have Googled “chicken artichokes” I see that it is common practice to make it with mayo and Parmesan cheese. My version is much lighter but still full of flavour from braised chicken and artichokes. One day I will create a lighter creamy version.
I have used my grandma’s money saving tip and have butchered the whole chicken – thighs, drumsticks and breasts went into this dish (skinless but bone in). Remaining carcass and wings went into soup which I am making today. I first made the stock and later on will use up all leftover veggies in my fridge and probably add brown rice. That is a typical Ukrainian cooking – use what you have on hand and stuff bellies with liquid meals like soup to save money.
Over the years I became a big fan of artichokes. I tried to cook fresh with not much luck. So, I buy jarred and packed in oil, drain, rinse and drain again. I can’t find frozen or packed in water in my area but those work too. I usually buy artichokes in big jars at Costco – best price and product of Spain, so hopefully no GMOs (?!).
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 2” pieces*
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil, divided
- 16 oz jarred (canned) artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped**
- 2 cups water or low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp parsley or basil, finely chopped
- Preheat heavy bottom pan or a Dutch oven on medium heat and swirl 1 tbsp of oil to coat. Add chicken, working in batches if necessary, and cook until well browned on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Swirl remaining oil to coat the bottom of skillet and add onion and garlic. Sauce until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add artichokes, water or stock, honey, salt and pepper; stir and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Return chicken to a skillet and stir gently to combine. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley or basil and serve hot with Turkey Bacon and Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes, rice, salad or veggies.
*Or use 2.5 lbs of bone-in chicken. I cut up whole chicken and used most of it for this dish and remaining carcass and wings for soup. **If using artichokes marinated in oil (I did because I couldn’t find them in water), drain, rinse and drain again. Frozen or packed in water work too.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1 1/4 cups:
Total Fat: 4.5 g
Cholesterol: 55.1 mg
Sodium: 254.1 mg
Total Carbs: 11.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.1 g
Protein: 27.6 g
WW Points+: 4