Last night was a hot tub, wine and staring at the stars kind of night. Last night was here-is-your-child-daddy, as soon as Alex walked in the door kind of night. It was time to shut off, for me. I honestly had no idea 2nd kid makes a difference in life. LOL, he did!
Fitness, healthy eating a.k.a cheeseburger quinoa casserole, and those nights like yesterday keep me sane, while I’m fully enjoying the ride on a roller coaster of the sweetest years with my kids. Really?! These are the sweetest?! It’s going to get more roller coaster-y?! Thanks gosh for that wine, hot tub and Alex. I have no idea how some of you, single moms, and moms with 4 kids do it?! RESPECT!
So, today was chili chicken, kale and quinoa casserole kind of day. It’s a new day. This dish is perfect for laid back days like today. No pre-cooking. It was also 8K run day and 11am hot tub day. I’m getting ready for 11 people Thanksgiving cook off this weekend, 5 kids trashing my never-give-up imitation of a show home house and Monday “spring” cleaning.
So, this quinoa casserole is perfect for today. Tastes like chili but with quinoa, kids love it, I will have it with my superfood green smoothie. After seeing how much you guys loved the black bean quinoa casserole (over 6K pins so far), I made one more for you. Note: baked kale doesn’t look pretty.
Happy Thanksgiving, Canada! Sorry I’m more of a ground turkey stew girl, so I recommend you use your mom’s turkey recipe and my root vegetable mash to go with it. Your mom will love them, I promise. Mine did!
Chili Chicken, Kale & Quinoa Casserole
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded (rotisserie chicken breast is fine)
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 12 oz can or 1 + 1/2 cup corn, drained
- 6 kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro + more for garnish, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions + more for garnish, chopped
- 1 cup salsa, low sodium
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 cups Tex Mex (blend of mozzarella & cheddar is OK) cheese, divided
- Jalapeno pepers to taste (optional)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and add to a large mixing bowl along with kale and mix to combine. You need quinoa to be hot, so it cooks down and reduces in size kale. Saves you extra step of sautéing.
- Add remaining ingredients, reserving 1.5 cup cheese for topping, and mix well to combine. Transfer mixture to a baking dish and press on it gently to flatten. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes uncovered. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional cilantro and green onions. Serve warm.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1.25 – 1.5 cup:
Total Fat: 13.4 g
Cholesterol: 61.2 mg
Sodium: 666.5 mg
Total Carbs: 39.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.4 g
Protein: 26.9 g
WW Points+: 10