For the past few weeks, I have been in a baking mood. Since Canadian Thanksgiving was last month, end November marks Christmas baking for me (absolutely new concept to a Ukrainian immigrant which I happily adopted). After dropping off kids at school and daycare (thank goodness for those establishments), I turn on Frank Sinatra radio, my oven and am having a blast making the biggest mess in my kitchen! Cooking is my therapy and lately I have added Christmas crafting to the list. Wine, cooking and crafting…I know…
Anyways, this chocolate quinoa granola is absolutely amazing in your breakfast cereal, snack or for gifting. I’m packing a big bag for my mom since she is not a baker, period.
First time ever I made granola it was this Coconut and Chia Quinoa granola. You basically mix uncooked quinoa with oats and add liquids. The trick is the right proportions of dry to wet ingredients since quinoa bakes differently than oats.
Quinoa granola is super simple to make and highly versatile. You can use chocolate chunks or chopped chocolate bar instead of chocolate chips. Add almonds or any other nuts. Add or skip ground flax seeds. Use what you have.
Our jars are gone fast. The boys and me are mostly snacking on it. At least you can feel good about your snack or treat. Break it into as small or large pieces as you like. I noticed store bought granola is very small but I like mine in bigger chunks. Enjoy!
- 2 cups quick or old fashioned rolled oats (use certified gluten free oats for GF version)
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/4 cup flax seed, ground (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use organic or Enjoy Life)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, large
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add oats, quinoa, cacao powder, flax seed, chocolate chips, salt and mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and add maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and pour into a bowl with dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly and spread in an even layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on a third rack from the bottom for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for an hour. After break into pieces and enjoy with Greek yogurt, as a cereal or as a snack.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Amount Per Serving = 1/2 cup:
Total Fat: 10.5 g
Cholesterol: 11.6 mg
Sodium: 151.3 mg
Total Carbs: 34.6 g
Sugars: 16 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g
Protein: 3.5 g
WW Points+: 7