Chopped Edamame Caprese Salad. What is that?! All ingredients of a Caprese Salad are chopped and mixed with edamame beans for extra protein and just because I love them. Oh, and Persian cucumbers. Those water packed, cancer fighters and hangover curing little guys. And if you ask me, no good salad is complete without avocado. This superfood is full of healthy fats, so don’t worry.
We never get to eat Caprese salad because I’m not slice-it, layer-it, drizzle-it kind of girl. I’m chop-it, mix-it, smash-it kind of woman because I have kids and I’m married.:) These skills have transpired into numerous casserole recipes. It was time to fix the issue. I had previously purchased fresh mozzarella cheese from Costco. Did you know you can freeze it?! Persian cucumbers are in season, long English cucumber would work too. Cherry tomatoes and avocado. Then edamame.
All friends know I’m organic food type of girl, if the budget allows. So, last time at the market, I saw organic edamame beans, got 3 bags and off I went. Well, when it was time to make the salad, I discovered edamame I bought are still in the pods. So, if you are as blonde as me or you just have too many kids and a husband, just shell the beans before boiling. An easier route is to buy widely available shelled edamame beans.:)
The salad was delicious. I don’t know how else to sell it to you today.:) If you like Caprese Salad, you will like an Edamame Caprese Salad. That’s it.:)
You can make this salad ahead, just keep the dressing separate until it’s time to serve. Fresh mozzarella cheese absorbs liquids easily and will turn darker colour from a balsamic vinegar. So, just for the sake of prettiness. You can also drizzle the dressing on individual salads.
- 1 cup edamame beans, shelled
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup or 7 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 7 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Cook edamame beans as per package instructions. All they need is just being boiled for 5 minutes on medium heat. Drain. Add to a medium bowl along with tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado and mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining ingredients, pour over vegetables and cheese, mix gently enough to combine. Serve cold.
Servings Per Recipe: 5
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 15.9 g
Cholesterol: 28.0 mg
Sodium: 138.4 mg
Total Carbs: 15.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
Protein: 11.8 g
WW Points+: 7