Cheesy appetizers season is upon us, with the Holidays just around the corner (hard to believe) and all the sports games happening on TV. In my house it’s hockey non-stop. Not to mention rain, snow and cold that makes us spend weekends hibernating and eating. So, I thought you would appreciate a healthier snack option. Those of us who care anyways. A small group of us.:)
Me and Alex often wonder why there are no healthy fast food joints and thoughts of opening one appears. However, by passing Costco’s cafe on a checkout and attending a few gatherings here and there, these thoughts quickly disappear. Let’s be honest, majority of America STILL doesn’t eat healthy. My cute little suburban restaurant would go bankrupt.
You can create this creamy dip with no dairy and it’s completely vegan and gluten free for those who need it. It keeps well refrigerated for a few days without turning brown, thanks to the lime juice and an airtight seal. So, you can prepare it in advance.
It tastes best with tortilla chips, obviously. I have included a few of my affordable organic and non-GMO favourites in the recipe.
Absolutely feel free to add as much jalapeños as you can handle, with or without seeds. Seeds make it hotter and make sure if you are removing seeds, do it with a knife. Otherwise, your fingers will hurt for a few days.
Leftovers make an amazing sandwich spread. I sprinkled extra diced jalapeños and freshly ground black pepper on top.
- 15 oz can chickpeas or white beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 large avocado, pitted & skin removed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 tbsp jalapeños, seeded & chopped (use 1/2 tbsp for kid friendly & more or with seeds to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Handful cilantro
- 1/2 cup corn (if using frozen thaw beforehand)
- Add all ingredients, except corn, to a food processor and process on Low until well combined but still chunky. It took me about a few minutes and you might have to stop and scrape the contents off the walls of the food processor bowl.
- Now it's time to taste and adjust spiciness with extra jalapeños if desired. Add corn and pulse a few times until combined. Serve with your choice of organic or non-GMO tortilla chips. My favourites are Way Better Snacks, RW Garcia and Que Pasa.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1/4 cup:
Total Fat: 7.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 257.8 mg
Total Carbs: 12.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Protein: 3.3 g
WW Points+: 3