OMG, guys, I have a new favourite Sunday dinner! These soft pillows aka chicken lasagna roll ups made out of healthy brown rice pasta and filled with clean creamy chicken, artichoke and spinach filling. Topped with cheese and tomato sauce and baked.
No crazy Alex stories today as this dish doesn’t involve fish. In Vancouver salmon fishing is huge in Fall and he has been quite pre-occupied with that and working. Somebody has to work, right?! Haha.
Thank you to all of you for reading this blog and cooking my recipes. One day we should have a big get together and drink wine. I will bring Alex with me. Somehow, I just feel he is part of this blog. See, honey?!:)
Going back to our chicken lasagna roll ups. These were delicious and so much fun to make! Easy for kids to roll. I’m not going to pretend it’s your next 30 minute dinner idea but they are quite easy and CLEAN. That’s why if 12 roll ups is too much, just freeze the leftovers and save time. Plus, most lasagna pasta comes in a package of 12. If I use only 8, I always don’t know what to do with the remaining 4. Might as well cook them all if you already made a big mess in the kitchen.:)
I couldn’t find whole wheat lasagna pasta sheets but I found brown rice ones, which might be even better. Check out your local organic store or farmer’s market. I haven’t seen them in Trader Joe’s but maybe at Whole Foods. Brown rice lasagna sheets hold their shape beautifully, taste just like wheat pasta and are gluten free. If you substitute whole wheat flour for oat flour, the dish becomes gluten free.
As for the artichokes, I used Kirkland marinated in oil artichoke hearts, in a jar. I drained them and squeezed out the oil really well with my hands. You can also use frozen ones. Just thaw them on a counter overnight or defrost in a microwave and make sure to squeeze out the water really well. I have never seen artichokes packed in water. Hey, those work if you can find them.
- 12 lasagna pasta sheets (1 box), whole wheat or brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 - 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp flour, whole wheat
- 2 cups milk, skim
- 2 cups marinated (frozen) artichoke hearts, oil/defrosted & water squeezed out and finely diced
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, diced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups spinach, thinly sliced
- 2 cups tomato sauce, any organic or all natural like Newman's Own, divided
- 2 + 1/2 cups any shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend:)), divided
- Cooking spray (I use Trader Joe's coconut oil spray)
- Cook pasta as per package instructions, drain and lay flat on parchment paper.
- Preheat large skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic and onions, saute until golden brown. Add flour and mix it vigorously with onions and garlic. Add milk and mix with spatula (I did) or whisk until combined. Let cook 2 minutes. Add artichoke hearts, chicken & black pepper and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium and cook for 20 minutes, uncovered. Remove from heat, add spinach and mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray, add 1 cup of tomato sauce and spread it evenly with spatula.
- Fill each pasta sheet with 1/4 - 1/3 cup of chicken artichoke mixture and 2 tbsp cheese. Repeat with remaining pasta and filling.
- Roll each lasagna roll and place tightly in a baking dish, 6 rolls in 1 row, 2 rows.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of tomato sauce and 1 cup of cheese, distributing evenly among all rolls. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Servings Per Recipe: 12 roll ups
Amount Per Serving = 1 roll up:
Total Fat: 4.0 g
Cholesterol: 27.9 mg
Sodium: 403.9 mg
Total Carbs: 27.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 17.4 g
WW Points+: 5