Easy and healthy grilled chicken recipe, just in time for grilling season and hot weather. Meaty chicken thighs marinated in sweet zesty marinade of coconut milk, lime juice and fresh cilantro. Jalapeno pepper adds a tiny spicy kick to the chicken that is still kid friendly. Feel free to add more jalapenos for a spicier version. This coconut cilantro chicken recipe is so easy, you can marinate the chicken the day before and grill it on a weeknight after work.
Onions are great for meat marinades: they tenderize the meat and start “cooking” it. You won’t taste the onion much and your chicken will cook faster and will be softer.
For this coconut cilantro chicken recipe I chose chicken thighs with bone in because they are juicier than chicken breasts. I also left the skin on on a few pieces. Feel free to use boneless and completely skinless chicken thighs.
If you are really watching the calories, choose chicken breasts sliced in half and cut in smaller pieces for proper cooking. I’m OK eating all kinds of chicken meat because it is real food, I cook it healthy and it doesn’t happen every day. Enjoy with any healthy whole grain side like quinoa or brown rice and salad. To cut down on carbs, skip the grains and serve with a large salad on a side.
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, skinless, bone in (boneless)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, light
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1/4 red onion, medium
- Handful cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Jalapeño to taste (I used 1/3 of a medium one)
- Cooking spray
- To make marinade: In a food processor (Magic Bullet) combine all ingredients except chicken and process until smooth mixture is formed.
- Wash chicken thighs under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels and pierce randomly with a small knife. Add to a medium bowl or any container that can be covered. Pour marinade over chicken, mix with your hands to coat the meat evenly, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Discard marinade before cooking.
- Preheat the grill on high using both burners. After preheating, turn the left burner off leaving the right burner on. Place marinated chicken on a left burner side (indirect heat) sprayed with cooking spray. Close the grill lid and cook for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over, close the lid and cook for another 20 minutes. Place on a right burner side (direct heat) to get some cool grill marks. Serve warm.
Servings Per Recipe: 7 thighs
Amount Per Serving = 1 thigh:
Total Fat: 4.8 g
Cholesterol: 48.5 mg
Sodium: 198 mg
Total Carbs: 0.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 11.8 g
WW Points+: 2