We blinked and Fall is here! Summers are always intense and short. Get why?! Because summer lasts really only 2-3 months out of 12. So, yeah, it is short.:) I’m not sure I would want it to last longer though. Part of me is sad dinners at the lake are over but other part of me is happy about all things Fall: baking, crispy air, school, rain. I love any day in North America. Life is so easy here and worry free if you think about it on a big scale. You make it as stressful as you want it to be. Nobody is forcing me to paint my house, enrol my kids in numerous sports and own a big house in the burbs. “Oh, I’m so tired of cleaning my 3,000 sq.ft.house”. I know, hard life, eh?!
So, hello Fall! So, hello football and hockey season! Living in a household with 3 men I can tell you all about sports. Mainly, it means a lot of TV watching. And eating while watching TV.:) I always try to have some sort of plant-based dip on hand to go with tortilla chips. I usually make Hummus or Baba Ghanoush.
Not only can plant based foods be good for you but also they are delicious. Today, I have partnered up with Silk and made this Creamy Black Bean Dip using their original cashew milk. Together, we are trying to encourage you to send meat and dairy products to the sidelines starting with at least once a week and have a #MeatlessMondayNight (more recipes and a chance to win a giveaway => here) while watching your favourite sports, by yourself or with a company.
This Creamy Black Bean Dip looks amazing, right?! And creamy. It was creamy. I have had plans to try cashew milk for a while now. Here we go. It perfectly substituted cheese to make the dip creamy but dairy free and light. And then all I added was salsa and corn flour. You can use cornmeal as well. In case you are wondering, I cooked it on a stovetop and then kept in a small slow cooker to keep warm until dinner time. Feel free to adjust salt and spices to your liking. You could also add chopped tomatoes or avocado.
About the corn muffins. They went really well with the dip. Reminded me of biscuits and gravy concept a lot. I grabbed the recipe for muffins on All Recipes, tweaked it a bit and muffins turned out just OK. So, I’m sorry, they need more work. I won’t be sharing the recipe yet. But feel free to use organic tortilla chips.:)
- 2 cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups Silk cashew milk, original
- 1 cup salsa (I used medium)
- 1/4 cup corn flour or cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp salt*
- 1/4 cup green onions (cilantro), finely chopped
- Freshly squeezed lime juice, to taste
- In a medium pot, add black beans and mash with a masher until about half of the beans are mashed.
- Add cashew milk, salsa, corn flour and salt; stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If dip sticks to the pot a bit it is easy to fix with extra milk and stirring.
- Remove from heat, add green onions (cilantro) and lime juice, stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve hot with tortilla chips or corn muffins. You can also transfer dip to a small slow cooker to keep it warm for serving.
*If using canned beans you might not need salt. I used my own unsalted cooked beans.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1/2 cup:
Total Fat: 0.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 224.6 mg
Total Carbs: 14.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
Protein: 3.8 g
WW Points+: 2
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.