When I hear buffalo chicken, I immediately think of buffalo wings and Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Then celery and carrots come to mind. So, imagine all of that cooked in a slow cooker and making the yummiest Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Chili.
I think, we all have to thank Rachel Ray for inventing this crockpot chicken chili. It’s all over the net. But I made my own version – clean and simple. As I always do, when trying to recreate the recipe. I just look at the ingredients list but never the amounts or directions. I just get an idea and make my own.
Instead of ground chicken, I used boneless and skinless chicken breasts. They are easy to shred at the end, spare you a step of browning the chicken and save money and time. Ground chicken is pricey and hard to find, at least where I live.
I used 1/4 cup of Frank’s Red Hot sauce and it was a perfect amount to give this crock pot buffalo chicken chili a little spice kick and still be kid friendly. Use more if you wish. The sauce is widely available in grocery stores and contains barely any calories, but is high in sodium. So add carefully.:)
I loved the easiness of this crock pot buffalo chicken chili and my boys loved crunchy carrots. It really felt like eating chicken wings sans fat. I topped my chili with low fat feta cheese. If you are a fan of blue cheese ( I am but didn’t have any on hand), you could use a bit of it for a true buffalo chicken wings experience.:)
Don’t forget to enter Bob’s Redmill Giveaway – 3 Winners.
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 medium onions (2 cups), chopped
- 3-4 large carrots (3 cups), chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 15 oz cans any beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup original Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat large skillet on medium and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic, onions, carrots and celery and saute for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients to the crock pot, except chicken. Mix to combine. Add chicken breasts and make them sink in and be covered with the rest of ingredients. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours. Remove chicken breasts, shred with 2 forks and return to the crock pot. If have time, let the chili cook another 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with crumbled low fat feta or blue cheese and chopped cilantro/green onion.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 3/4 cup:
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 73.3 mg
Sodium: 606.1 mg
Total Carbs: 38.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 11.8 g
Protein: 44.5 g
WW Points+: 8