Tuna, eggplant and cherry tomatoes simmered in a delicious sauce with Tabasco and topped with fresh basil. Quick gluten free and paleo weeknight dinner.
I feel like I’m following a paleo diet this week. Grilled Spicy Cilantro Fish Kebabs, Grilled Maple Basil Cherry Tomatoes and now more vegetables and lean protein. This quick skillet consists of tuna, eggplant and cherry tomatoes, simmered with Tabasco® Original Red Sauce, maple syrup & cider vinegar and topped with fresh basil. Perfect easy dinner for busy weeknights. Serve this skillet on its own or over brown basmati rice, barley or quinoa for a more filling dish.
The sauce couldn’t be more simple: eggplant, cherry tomatoes and fish are simmered in water with a few spices. Cherry tomatoes soften up and release its juices during the cooking process. Tabasco® adds just a bit of a peppery punch and sharpens the flavours. It’s important to add fresh basil at the very end as cooking destroys its flavour. See, you don’t need a jar of tomato sauce. I remembered how my grandma could make the most delicious meat with gravy or vegetables in a sauce without any packets or jars. I used her technique to create this fish skillet recipe. Real food tastes good on its own, that is so true.
Save time by buying fish fillets, like tuna or swordfish. I used wild frozen tuna steaks from Costco, which I thawed in the refrigerator overnight. You can also place frozen fish in cold water for a quick defrosting. Enjoy!
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp original Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb tuna, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggplant, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and toss to combine.
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add eggplant and sauté for 6 minutes, stirring once. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Add grape tomatoes, cover with lid and sauté for 6 minutes, turning once.
- Add eggplant, water, maple syrup, vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper, and gently stir. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tuna, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve hot with brown basmati rice or quinoa.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 5.5 g
Cholesterol: 34.1 mg
Sodium: 422.0 mg
Total Carbs: 10.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.8 g
Protein: 19.1 g
WW Points+: 4
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Tabasco® Original Red Sauce. All opinions are my own and I recommend exclusively products that I love, tried myself and are good for your health.