Meaty juicy eggplant fritters dipped in a peppery egg wash and fried with no oil. Serve as a side dish for meat and poultry, on a whole wheat bun to make a veggie burger (use 2 patties), inside a whole wheat pita as a sandwich or on its own as a vegetarian cutlet/savoury pancake. These no fuss eggplant fritters are versatile, quick and dirt cheap. No grinder, food processor or pre-baking is required either.
My shortcut was the egg wash. Eggplant has qualities of a sponge and contains a lot of water. Therefore, frying the eggplant requires a lot of oil which is not necessarily healthy. Because my oven was broken and quite frankly I was tired of all grilled recipes, I really had to think of a revolutionary way to make the fritters.
I just know that any veggie burger or patty that requires grinding or pre-baking of the ingredients won’t happen in my house often. Probably the same applies to you. If you are still here, means you like simple recipes. Me too. So, here is what I did to make eggplant fritters, which took me literally 30 minutes from start to finish.
I pounded each eggplant slice on both sides with a meat tenderizer. I have seen my mom using a chef’s knife or the tip of a heavy handle, a hammer for example (washed), when she didn’t have a tenderizer. Yeah, those Ukrainian ladies are creative. This process helps the eggplant to release water and absorb well whatever you dip it into. In my case, an egg wash with a bit of Tabasco® Original Red Sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Do not skip Tabasco®. It really helps to bring out the flavour in fritters. Plus a bottle of Tabasco® costs only $5 and will last you over a year. Let the eggplant marinate for 5 – 10 minutes while you are preheating the skillet and cleaning up the kitchen (yay for no cleaning up after dinner). Then fry for 5 -7 minutes per side with cooking spray. That’s it.
Egg wash acts like a shield and prevents the eggplant from burning. These eggplant fritters taste almost like savoury pancakes. Juicy, meaty and egg-y. Not to mention they make a complete meal full of complex carbs, protein and fiber. You know that type of carbs from whole foods they talk about?! Here you go. We enjoyed these fritters both warm and cold. They were absolutely delicious and a breeze to make. Enjoy!
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into 8 1/2" thick rounds
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp original Tabasco sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped + 1/2 tbsp minced basil
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Pound each eggplant slice on both sides with a meat tenderizer. Set aside.
- In a shallow large dish with edges whisk the eggs, Tabasco, salt, black pepper and 1/2 tbsp basil for 20 seconds. Dip an eggplant slice into the mixture on both sides and set aside inside the dish. Repeat the same step with remaining eggplant slices and set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Saute the eggplant for 5 - 7 minutes per side in two batches. Discard the egg wash/marinade. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve hot or cold. Serving ideas: as a side for meat and poultry, on a whole wheat bun to make a veggie burger (use 2 patties), inside a whole wheat pita or on its own as a vegetarian cutlet/savoury pancake.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1 fritter:
Total Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 46.3 mg
Sodium: 237.0 mg
Total Carbs: 3.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 2.1 g
WW Points+: 1
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Tabasco® Original Red Sauce. All opinions are my own and I recommend exclusively products that I love, tried myself and are good for your health.