These mini eggplant pizza take 20 minutes, from start to finish, and absolutely curb the pizza craving without guilt. They turned out way better than I expected! The eggplant taste wasn’t that prominent (cheese helps), the “crust” was chewy and nutritional info was eye pleasing. Seriously, you have to make these for your pizza night!
I made a batch of these eggplant pizza last Friday, along with some kale chips (coming soon), and me and Alex completely indulged with a few glasses of wine. The only difference – no regrets in the morning. You know what I mean.:)
You don’t have to soak eggplant in salt or peel it, no extra steps. The recipe is very simple. Bake eggplant slices for 5 minutes per side, then top with tomato sauce + cheese and broil. You can also add any of your favourite toppings! I love my cauliflower pizza crust recipe but this eggplant pizza is much faster.
To keep “pizza” light, I used cooking spray instead of oil. You can serve it as an appetizer or a side dish. “Pizzas” tasted amazing even cold the next day as a side for my lunch. Delicious and super easy! I also recommend you try my sweet potato pizza crust and healthy tortilla pizza.
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1" thick rounds*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
- Any of your favourite toppings
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl toss to coat eggplant with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare tomato sauce by mixing together tomato sauce, garlic powder and oregano. Or use your any jarred tomato sauce, preferably all natural or organic. I used about 1.5 cups and saved leftovers for future use.
- Place eggplant on baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes, flip and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top each round with a heaping 1 tbsp of tomato sauce, any of your favourite toppings and 1 tbsp cheese. Broil on High until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot or cold. Makes a great snack, appetizer or a side dish. Tastes even better cold the next day.
*You might end up with 8 - 11 slices per eggplant, depending on its size. You have enough tomato sauce and cheese for all eggplant slices, even the ends.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Amount Per Serving = 1 pizza bite:
Total Fat: 2.9 g
Cholesterol: 9.9 mg
Sodium: 94.1 mg
Total Carbs: 4.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 2.8 g
WW Points+: 1