Quick & low carb recipe for America’s favourite comfort food. Indulge without the guilt!
These mini eggplant pizza take 20 minutes, from start to finish, and absolutely curb the pizza craving without guilt. They turned out way better than I expected! The eggplant taste wasn’t that prominent (cheese helps), the “crust” was chewy and nutritional info was eye pleasing. Seriously, you have to make these for your pizza night!
I made a batch of these eggplant pizza last Friday, along with some kale chips (coming soon), and me and Alex completely indulged with a few glasses of wine. The only difference – no regrets in the morning. You know what I mean.:)
You don’t have to soak eggplant in salt or peel it, no extra steps. The recipe is very simple. Bake eggplant slices for 5 minutes per side, then top with tomato sauce + cheese and broil. You can also add any of your favourite toppings! I love my Cauliflower Crust Pizza but this eggplant pizza is much faster.
To keep the “pizza” light, I used cooking spray instead of oil. You can serve it as an appetizer or a side dish. “Pizzas” tasted amazing even cold the next day as a side for my lunch. Delicious and super easy!
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1" thick rounds*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
- Any of your favourite toppings
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl toss to coat eggplant with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare tomato sauce by mixing together tomato sauce, garlic powder and oregano. Or use your any jarred tomato sauce, preferably all natural or organic. I used about 1.5 cups and saved leftovers for future use.
- Place eggplant on baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes, flip and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top each round with a heaping 1 tbsp of tomato sauce, any of your favourite toppings and 1 tbsp cheese. Broil on High until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot or cold. Makes a great snack, appetizer or a side dish. Tastes even better cold the next day.
*You might end up with 8 - 11 slices per eggplant, depending on its size. You have enough tomato sauce and cheese for all eggplant slices, even the ends.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Amount Per Serving = 1 pizza bite:
Total Fat: 2.9 g
Cholesterol: 9.9 mg
Sodium: 94.1 mg
Total Carbs: 4.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 2.8 g
WW Points+: 1