I just got back from an eight day camping trip (I know!) where I made similar farro salad with feta sans edamame and a fancy dressing.
Crunchy edamame beans, juicy sweet watermelon, creamy feta cheese, tangy zesty arugula drizzled with honey basil vinaigrette. Delicious! You could swap sweet green peas for edamame and avoid feta to make the salad vegan or if you don’t have it. Edamame are fresh soybeans full of protein, fiber and folate. You can find them sold shelled and frozen in a bag.
And farro. Basically, it’s Italian wheat that is full of protein, good for you complex carbs and fiber. I buy 10 Minute Farro from Trader Joe’s because it’s pre-cooked and it’s there. If you use regular farro, you have to soak it and cook like rice, which is not a big deal. I used the whole package, about 1.5 cups. Feel free to reduce the amount of farro to 1 cup.
This farro salad with feta came out very juicy and flavourful thanks to watermelon, arugula and lime. That’s what happens when you use wholesome real ingredients. If you are looking for more wholesome grain + vegetable type of salads, check out my brown rice and quinoa salad with sweet chili sauce, fall quinoa salad, and broccoli quinoa salad.
Clean & filling farro salad with edamame, watermelon, arugula & honey basil vinaigrette. Not a drop of oil. Full of protein, good for you complex carbs and fiber. You could swap sweet green peas for edamame and avoid feta to make the salad vegan or if you don’t have it.
- 1 + 1/2 cups farro, dry
- 2 cups edamame, shelled
- 1 + 1/2 cup watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 handfuls arugula
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp honey, melted in microwave if necessary
- 12 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In 2 separate pots, cook farro and edamame as per package instructions. I like my grains crunchy, so I undercook farro by 3-4 minutes. I also add a pinch of salt to each pot. Drain and add to a large bowl. Add watermelon, feta cheese and arugula.
- To prepare the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together lime juice, honey, salt and basil. A note, I used unpasteurized honey that needed to be melted in microwave. Add dressing to the bowl with salad ingredients and toss enough to combine. Serve cold.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1.5 cups:
Total Fat: 5.4 g
Cholesterol: 11.1 mg
Sodium: 234.4 mg
Total Carbs: 42.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
Sugars: 7.7 g
Protein: 14.2 g
WW Points+: 7