Crunchy fresh green beans made with roasted garlic and coated in melted parmesan cheese. These are perfect any time of the year and especially for the BBQ season. Vegetarian and gluten free.
It’s spring in Vancouver and these beans scream spring and healthy to me. I love french green beans from Costco. They are thin and already trimmed. But any kind of green beans will work.
How to Cook Green Beans
As hard as it might seem, cooking green beans is just a timing game. Green beans have to be crunchy and not mushy. That’s the key to any tasty fresh green beans recipe.
1. Just bring a pot of water to boil. Add green beans and cook for 4-5 minutes. Go ahead and try one while cooking making sure it’s not too hard. Drain.
2. In a bowl, add some cold water and couple cups of ice. Add drained green beans and let them cool for a couple minutes. Drain. Shocking green beans with ice cold water helps to stop them from further cooking and to retain the bright green colour.
Think of green beans like of pasta. It tastes best when cooked al dente, a little bit hard. I do not like mushy pasta!
I made this recipe and tried it last Sunday on my guests. Everyone loved it, including the four kids.
Look at the crinkly pieces of freshly shaved parmesan cheese. I always buy a large piece of Parmigiano Reggiano and shave it as I need to.
And the slices of roasted garlic…Mmmm. Do not get scared by the amount of garlic. This dish benefits particularly from the flavours of roasted garlic.
And this is one of those rare recipes where I prefer sliced garlic to crushed. Unlike in Healthy and Cheesy Green Beans and Cauliflower, where I explain why I put garlic through my garlic press most of the time.
I hope you enjoy the recipe and a beautiful weather we have been having lately! At least in Vancouver it is +16 every day!
- 2 lbs green beans, fresh
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch hot peper flakes (to taste)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Bring medium pot with water to boil, add green beans and cook for 4-5 minutes or until they are al dente. Shock with cold water with ice to stop cooking and retain the colour. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil, add garlic and sauté until golden. Mash garlic with a masher (I reserved half of the garlic for decoration purposes). Add green beans, parsley, hot pepper flakes, parmesan cheese and salt. Stir to combine. Serve warm, with extra parmesan cheese on top if desired.
Servings per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 6.4 g
Cholesterol: 2.5 mg
Sodium: 140.1 mg
Total Carbs: 8.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
Protein: 3.7 g
Weight Watchers Points +: 3
Weight Watchers Points: 2