Last week I was craving lighter, nutty and full of season’s flavour cookies. Similar to Cranberry Thumbprint Cookies I made last year. I was craving the taste of baked ground almonds in my mouth. Luckily I’m my own boss when it comes to food where as Alex and kids have to eat what I make.
Right after dinner, I quickly went through my kitchen’s supplies and 40 minutes later I had these delicious gluten free cookies. Delicate, airy and super moist. The next day I took a few for my friend as we went for a day of shopping and she loved them! She quickly noticed the taste of coconut oil. My Italian neighbours highly approved as well and she suggested to use lemon if you are not a big fan of orange like her.
I do not follow a gluten free diet but rather keep everything in balance. Therefore, I never buy gluten free flour mixes as I find many people like me do not have them on hand. What I always have on hand is almonds and quick oats. I make my own almond meal by grinding almonds in a food processor into fine powder. That way I always can bake gluten free without spending extra $$$ and making a trip to the store.
Fresh cranberries add such a nice tartness and a burst of flavour. No need to chop them, leave them whole – that way they won’t get lost in the cookies. It is important to let the cookies cool down completely otherwise they will crumble.
Enjoy and this season fill up your gift bags with Clean Eating cookies!
- 1 large egg, at room T*
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted to room T
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/3 cup orange juice (1/2 extra large orange juice of)
- Zest of extra large orange
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups quick oats (use certified gluten free oats for GF version)
- 1 + 3/4 cups almond meal (finely ground almonds)
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line jelly roll sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add coconut oil, maple syrup or honey, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and whisk until well combined. If coconut oil solidifies, fill the bottom of kitchen sink with hot water and place the bowl in it for 15 minutes.
- Stir in oats and almond meal until combined. Then gently stir in cranberries. Using 1.5" wide cookie scoop, drop cookie dough on prepared baking sheet 1" apart (cookies do not spread much). Bake for 20 minutes or until cookies turn golden brown. Remove from the oven, cool on the sheet for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool off completely.
*To warm up the egg, place in a cup with hot water for 5 minutes.
Servings Per Recipe: 28
Amount Per Serving – 1 cookie:
Total Fat: 8.1 g
Cholesterol: 6.6 mg
Sodium: 23.8 mg
Total Carbs: 9.9 g
Sugars: 4.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 2.5 g
WW Points+: 3