Nothing screams summer more than grilled food. Whether you are cooking for a party of friends or just a romantic family dinner, this Greek Chicken Kebab Recipe will be a hit. And they are so darn easy to make and are delicious!
I have been making kebabs for years and finally have jotted down the recipe. Me and Alex love to unwind during summer weekends in our backyard. Usually with delicious grilled dinner, a glass or two of wine, kids running in and out, music playing. It is awesome! And this year we opened the grilling season with these Greek Style Chicken Kebabs.
I call these chicken skewers a la Greek style for a reason. First, I marinate meat in a generous amount of dried herbs, then skewer with bell peppers and zucchini, and lastly brush grilled kebabs with garlic oil. We just love the flavours of fresh garlic and extra virgin olive oil! Alex also loves to dip fresh baguette right into it.
I have marinated kebabs for as little as 30 minutes to up to overnight. The longer marinating time is, the more flavourful kebabs will be. Also kebabs will cook faster if marinated longer because of sitting in acidic lemon juice. Make sure to spray the grill well and soak wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes if using. My kids find it super fun to eat right from the skewers.
Enjoy this Greek Chicken Kebab Recipe! If you are a fish lover, check out these grilled fish kebabs.
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 20 olives, cut in halves
- 1 large red onion, cut & separated into 1" pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated & divided
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tbsp basil or oregano, dried
- 1 + 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 + 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2" thick rounds
- 3 large bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl add chicken, olives, onion, 1 garlic clove, lemon juice + zest, basil or oregano, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Toss to combine and coat the chicken evenly. Let marinate at least 30 minutes. The longer meat marinates, the more flavourful it is and less cooking time is required. I left the meat to marinate as little as 30 minutes and as long as overnight.
- Toss zucchini and bell peppers with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. If marinating meat overnight, you can do this step right before grilling.
- To make garlic oil, combine olive oil and 1 garlic clove in a small bowl and set aside.
- Skewer the meat alternating with olives, red onion and vegetables onto each skewer. I ended up using 5 - 6 pieces of chicken, 2 zucchini slices, 3 - 4 bell pepper slices on each out of 10 long metal skewers. Discard remaining marinade.
- Preheat the grill on low - medium heat, around 500 degrees F, and spray with cooking spray. Grill skewers with lid closed turning every 2 - 3 minutes for even grilling. Kebabs are ready when chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.* Remove from the grill and brush each skewer with garlic oil. Serve hot with your favourite whole grain and/or salad.
Grills vary. Cooking time will vary depending on the age and make/model of your grill. I have new Coleman BBQ which is quite powerful if I compare it to my old grill. Use your judgement and experience with your grill.
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving = 1 kebab/skewer:
Total Fat: 4.6 g
Cholesterol: 44.0 mg
Sodium: 404.0 mg
Total Carbs: 6.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 22.1 g
WW Points+: 4