This green beans and chicken is a 4 ingredient healthy dinner recipe, embarrassingly easy and saucy. Who doesn’t like sauce (“hi” peanut sauce chicken)?! My tomato sauce happens to be healthy and low calorie though. I wouldn’t call it a quick recipe but all work is really done by the stove and not you. Tomato paste really adds more depth to the tomato sauce. Plus this is a mess free recipe which I should develop more of. I spend hours cleaning my kitchen every single day.
I came up with this recipe in March while in Seattle for my son’s hockey tournament, the same time I re-made my creamy kale salad. I had a small kitchenette in our hotel room and Trader Joe’s nearby. This green beans and chicken was the dinner me and Alex ate before going to a hockey year end celebration pizza party in the lobby. I wouldn’t make my kids feeling excluded in this case but me and Alex don’t eat pizza. We make sure to eat well before at home. I can guarantee you we have avoided around 100 pizzas during all years my son played sports. And about 1,000 more to come in the next 15 years.:) Alex also skips monthly pizza at work which comes to about 40 pizzas by now. Everyone questions his sanity by this point.
The dinner above was from one of the mid-week dinners at the lake: green beans and chicken, boiled potatoes and coked broccoli leaves. I’m starting to lose track of all our summer activities. Because our favourite lake is only 15 minutes away we beat hot summer nights there. Alex joins us right after work.
Last week I bought 20 lbs of organic cherries. We are addicted and can’t stop eating them! I was planning to freeze some but now I don’t know. I made shredded kale salad with cherries and now I am thinking we are better off stuffing our faces with cherries until we can’t even look at them. I also have a hard time convincing myself to bake with cherries. They are so sweet on their own, why would I coat them in more sugar and dough?! As a kid I ate all fruit raw and can’t seem to get rid of that healthy habit. My kids are the same way.Print
Green Beans and Chicken
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1.5 lbs skinless & boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil, divided
- 25 oz jar tomato sauce with basil*
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped**
- Preheat large skillet or dutch oven on low – medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and swirl to coat. Add chicken, cover and cook until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Depends which chicken part you use. Cut with a knife to check for clear running juices. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of oil, swirl to coat the skillet and add green beans. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken, tomato sauce and paste; stir to combine. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and let stand another 5 minutes. Adjust salt to taste if necessary and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot with boiled potatoes, brown rice, quinoa or kale.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight glass container for up to 5 days.
*Any flavoured organic clean sauce works. **Any herbs work.