Greens and beans recipe with artichoke hearts. If you like spinach and artichoke dip or loved my spinach artichoke quinoa casserole, then I can guarantee you will like this 20 minute vegetarian dinner.
The day I made it was rainy and I was craving something warm, cozy and creamy. March is quickly becoming my least favourite month of the year. Kids get sick as temperatures rise, I suffer from constant headaches with weather changes and outside is simply disgusting – neither warm, nor cold and windy (no evening walks for me).
The beauty of this greens and beans recipe is that you can be flexible with ingredients. I used dark Lacinato (dinosaur) kale which is soft and chewy. My favourite kale! Swiss chard, spinach or any kale would work. I didn’t even removed the stalks, just trimmed the ends. I was lazy.
For beans, I went with Northern beans. Any broad beans like lima, red kidney etc. would work. No black beans this time.
I cook my own beans but you can use canned. If you want to avoid BPA in cans and save money I highly recommend to cook your own beans. I had a bag of organic dried white beans sitting in my pantry and I cooked them all at once. Used some for the recipe and rest I froze. So easy!
Now, artichokes. I like addition of artichokes to greens and beans. I think they add a zest and texture. I used Costco’s artichokes marinated in oil which I rinsed and drained. So, let’s assume I don’t want to consume GMO oil which artichokes are packed in or simply a lot of oil, rinsing artichokes with water is the way to go.
I went with 2% Greek yogurt but next time I will try 10%. Do not use 0% as dish will be bland and generally that yogurt doesn’t have the best nutrition benefits. I had sharp cheddar left after a wine night with Alex on the weekend and that is what went in this recipe. Any strong flavour hard cheese would work.
Enjoy and don’t feel shy to let me know how you like the recipe.:)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 14 oz can white beans, rinsed & drained*
- 1 bunch kale, coarsely chopped**
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups (16 oz) marinated artichokes, coarsely chopped***
- 1 cup 2% or higher fat Greek yogurt, plain****
- 2 tsp organic cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- Preheat large skillet on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and kale; sauté a few more minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add water and artichokes; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until kale has wilted.
- In a small bowl, whisk Greek yogurt and cornstarch. Remove skillet from heat and add yogurt mixture in batches while stirring. This will prevent yogurt from curdling. Add cheese and salt to taste. Serve hot.
*I cook my own beans. Any broad beans like lima, red kidney etc. beans would work. **I used dark Lacinato (dinosaur) kale. Curly kale, spinach, Swiss chard or any other leafy greens would work. ***I used packed in oil artichokes which I rinsed. ****Do not use fat free yogurt, dish will be bland. Next time I would use 10%.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 1 – 1.25 cups:
Total Fat: 10.1 g
Cholesterol: 16.3 mg
Sodium: 407.4 mg
Total Carbs: 41.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.0 g
Protein: 22.3 g
WW Points+: 9