We often hear “Eat your vegetables”, right?! I think it’s easier said than done. Even a clean eating freak like me gets bored with repetitive vegetable dishes week after week. I find that in order to eat a lot of vegetables, I have to change things up. The key is to have a variety of simple recipes handy and consume vegetables in various forms – smoothies, salads, baked, grilled and raw.
Grilling season is back which makes dinners less boring. Instead of grilling a bleached Kirkland beef burger, cook yourself a variety of vegetables. When you turn 50, you will be glad you did! Don’t forget to thank me. Grilled vegetables are delicious on their own and naturally are a source of protein, carbs and fiber. Throw in a few simple flavours and you get a high end restaurant healthy meal. Just like this coconut cauliflower, grilled or oven baked.
I made this recipe in the oven a few times (oven method included in the recipe too) and the whole family loved it. Even the kids and they are not big fans of cooked vegetables, like most kids. Last week my oven broke and I thought why not take it to the grill?! All you have to do is cut a head of cauliflower into large florets. Then toss with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Grill with a teaspoon of coconut oil until cooked but still firm (I’m an avid overcooked veggies hater). And serve. Easy, right?!
The cauliflower turned out sweet with a prominent smoky flavour. Not too spicy and crunchy. Delicious! It kept well refrigerated for up to 2 – 3 days. Perfect for leftovers which are so helpful when eating clean. This recipe would pair well with chicken, turkey or beef. A whole grain like quinoa, brown rice or farro on a side, and you have a complete meal. Enjoy!
- 7" - 8" head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- In a large bowl, add cauliflower, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and toss gently to coat.
- Grill: Preheat grill on medium - high, 550 - 600 degrees F, and add cauliflower to the grilling vegetable basket. Grill with the lid open, for 1 minute. Pour coconut oil spreading evenly over the cauliflower and stir (this ensures even distribution of oil and prevents it from falling into the grill). Cook for additional 3 minutes, stirring every minute or so.* I l prefer my cauliflower crispy and charred. Remove from the grill and serve hot.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and stir gently with spatula to coat evenly. Transfer in a single layer onto prepared baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until soft to a touch with a fork.
Grills vary. Cooking time will vary depending on the age and make/model of your grill. I have new Coleman BBQ which is quite powerful if I compare it to my old grill. Use your judgement and experience with your grill.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 2/3 cup:
Total Fat: 1.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 429.8 mg
Total Carbs: 7.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
Protein: 2.8 g
WW Points+: 1