Screaming yellow cheesy healthy chicken pasta bake with corn, baked to perfection with cheeeeese, sprinkled with more cheese and fresh herbs.
I had ears of corn laying in my fridge, still in hulk, which I’m too lazy to peel off at the market. It was starting to go bad. And I had chicken in the freezer. And who in the world doesn’t have pasta in their pantry?! And there was about half pound of organic white cheddar left, that kids managed not to cut into cheese strings. There you go.
In case you are wondering, yellow bake colour is thanks to turmeric. That stuff does wonders – pretty tasteless in small amounts and potentially could stain your countertops.
This healthy chicken pasta bake came out cheesy on top. I made it half and half – half kid friendly and half with wilted spinach under the cheese blanket. It’s optional, but is an easy way to add more spinach to your diet. Use any corn and cooked chicken you have on hand. Don’t be scared by the amount of garlic. When it cooks, the flavour is not as intense. In fact, I used 15 cloves. I felt bad for you and put 10 in the recipe. If you feel Ukrainian deep down, like me, use 15 cloves. Slavic people really like garlic.
- 3 cups whole wheat fussilli or any short pasta, dry
- 3 large ears or 4 cups canned (frozen) corn, separated into kernels
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- Coconut spray
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup milk, skim
- 2 cups reserved pasta water
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt, 0%
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 handfuls of spinach
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Cook pasta as per package instructions (with a pinch of salt). Drain, reserving 2 cups of water and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add corn and a pinch of salt, cook for 15 minutes, drain and set aside. If using canned or frozen corn, omit this step.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray large baking dish with coconut spray and set aside.
- Use the same pot that you cooked corn. Place it on low heat and spray with coconut spray. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add corn and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken, flour, milk, pasta water, yoghurt, turmeric, 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, salt and black pepper. Cook whisking/stirring frequently until the sauce has thickened a bit, 3-4 minutes. Add pasta and mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into the baking dish. If adding spinach, sauté it on low in the same corn pot, until wilted, stirring frequently. Layer spinach on the half of pasta bake before sprinkling cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1 + 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with feta cheese and parsley. Serve warm.
Servings Per Recipe: 7
Amount Per Serving = 1.25 cup:
Total Fat: 11.1 g
Cholesterol: 62.8 mg
Sodium: 381.2 mg
Total Carbs: 36.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.4 g
Protein: 31.6 g
WW Points+: 9