Healthy pumpkin soup without cream but rather with simple ingredients you more likely have in your pantry right now: canned pumpkin puree, any type of stock and full-fat coconut milk. I made the soup on a sunny crisp Fall day and it hit a spot – velvety, creamy, rich and smooth. I felt like being wrapped in a cozy blanket.
I love using starchy vegetables or coconut milk as soup thickener because these ingredients are much healthier alternatives to traditionally used heavy cream and roux. And soups taste delicious, I promise.
Soups like healthy broccoli cheese soup (thickened with vegetables), sun dried tomato soup (coconut milk), and healthy wild rice chicken soup (again, veggie packed) have made it into our family’s recipe binder.
How to Make Healthy Pumpkin Soup
- I like to use canned Farmer’s Market brand pumpkin puree, it’s organic and cans are BPA free.
- Homemade pumpkin puree works, especially if you have free pumpkins. Absolutely.
- I cooked my own pumpkin puree a few times, just to realize that the process wasn’t worthwhile my time and money.
- Full fat coconut milk, not light.
- Not from a carton that is meant for drinking.
- My favourite brand is Thai Kitchen – it’s smooth and contains no preservatives.
- From a carton (preferably organic).
- Bouillon cubes (preferably organic) that you dilute in hot water. I love the convenience of using only as much as I need and no carton sitting in the fridge putting pressure on me to be used up.
- Homemade (fresh or frozen) – I am a huge fan of making 3 dinners from 1 whole chicken, that’s where I get my stock from, fresh and frozen.
- Use any type of stock/broth: vegetable, chicken or beef.
Once you finish sautéing onion and garlic, combine all ingredients in a pot and cook for a mere 15 – 20 minutes, then puree. You can also cook pumpkin soup in a slow cooker for about 6 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High.
Extra step but oh, so good! To make things more exciting, I quickly toasted a handful of pumpkin seeds with a splash of soy sauce in a skillet. A major hit – kids were sneaking them directly from a skillet.
Enjoy this simple pumpkin soup!
Healthy Pumpkin Soup
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 2 cups any broth (use vegetable for vegan version)
- 2 1/4 cups pumpkin puree (homemade or canned)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, full fat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp soy sauce (I used Bragg's liquid aminos)
- Preheat medium size pot on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onions and garlic, cover and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining Soup ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, preheat medium size skillet on low heat, add pumpkin seeds and cook until toasted, stirring occasionally. Add soy sauce, quickly stir to coat and toast for a few more seconds. Remove from heat.
- When soup is cooked, blend it with an immersion blender or in a regular blender (make sure there is an opening in the lid otherwise you will have hot soup all over your kitchen) until smooth and creamy. Serve hot topped with salty roasted pumpkin seeds. M-m-m.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving 1.5 cups:
Total Fat: 9.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 516.1 mg
Total Carbs: 18.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 2.3 g
WW Points+: 4