Yes, pasta salad can be healthy…No white pasta drowning in mayo in this healthy pasta salad recipe.
Only fresh and good for you ingredients: whole wheat pasta, ripe tomatoes, reduced fat feta cheese, fresh dill, fragrant garlic and…coconut oil. The taste is exquisite! And it’s a pasta salad!
The trick to this salad is to serve it warm. Feta cheese and coconut oil will melt and create a sauce, which in turn will cook the grape tomatoes slightly. If you eat it cold, you may find it dry.
I love coconut oil and usually buy 2.3L jar of Nutiva at Costco for around $20. It is also organic.
Coconut oil has a nutty taste with a touch of sweetness, which is greatly reduced as soon as you add salt. That’s why it tastes great in savoury foods.
It used to be thought as an unhealthy fat, but not anymore. Coconut oil health benefits include control blood sugar, lower cholesterol and even help with weight loss. Again, I believe in moderation.
If you really don’t like coconut oil, feel free to substitute it for organic unsalted butter.
I originally made this salad with orzo pasta, but since I have a hard time finding whole wheat orzo I just use any kind of organic whole wheat pasta.
I assume using 2-3 regular size chopped tomatoes would work great too. Fresh parsley would work great instead of dill. And you don’t need any salt since feta cheese already has it.
I make this salad any time of the year and my kids love it. Great to bring to a potluck or for a brunch (Mother’s Day is almost here…). It is also a great leftover food. So enjoy!:)
- 3 cups whole wheat rotini, dry
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In a medium size pot cook pasta as per package directions. Al dente is the best for salads. Drain, add coconut oil, shake to distribute the oil, cover and set aside. The oil will melt and prevent pasta from sticking.
- In a medium bowl add tomatoes, feta cheese, dill, garlic and black pepper. Add cooked pasta & gently stir just enough to combine. Serve warm.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 1.5 cups:
Total Fat: 6.8 g
Cholesterol: 5.0 mg
Sodium: 235.3 mg
Total Carbs: 35.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
Protein: 8.8 g
WW Points+: 6