If you don’t like yams or sweet potatoes, listen before you give up on them completely. The same story with squash – I didn’t care for it until Stovetop Squash Mac and Cheese happened. That pillowy soft sauce is addictive by the spoon, straight from the blender. Read the comments.
Neither did I like yams until the last camping trip, when Christie pan fried them with oil, garlic and salt. They caramelized and became my favourite dessert for dinner. Seriously! And that’s exactly how I cooked my yams for this Mango, Chickpeas and Feta Roasted Yams salad.
The salad happened by a total accident and I used what I had on hand – mango, chickpeas, avocado and feta. That’s normal in this house. In fact, half of iFOODreal has happened by accident, just like iFOODreal itself. About a year ago Alex told me to start video recipe blog and I did. BTW, have you seen any of those videos? A thought of hitting “Play”, makes me wanna hide under my pillowy soft down white covers with greyish flowers.
THE cucumbers. Don’t skip. They add freshness and crunch to the salad.
And then it “snowed” feta cheese on my salad. Like it never snows in Vancouver. Very rarely. I miss that.
I’m so glad it’s Friday. I literally live all week in the kitchen, soccer field and playgrounds. But hey, that means Pumpkin Blueberry Crumb muffins, hot tub at 10 am, many giggles and smiles, hugs and kisses and a bazillion of “I wish dogs never pooped, then you would let me have a dog” conversations. If you are a mother, you understand.
And it’s a big day today – I’m going dishwasher shopping and I’m buying it because hand washing dishes is not for me, although I’m fully aware at least half of the world still does dishes that way. So, watch out Sears workers, I’m coming. Actually today, I’m one tired Friday mother with “here is your cash, give me my dishwasher” set of mind. I even didn’t tell you why this salad is so good for you, but you know it is. One thing I can tell you for sure, it’s filling. More like a meal salad, not a side. And it’s definitely heavier but still so healthy.
Have a great weekend.:)
- 1 lb yams, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cucumbers, seeded & diced
- 1 cup mango, cubed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut spray
- Preheat medium skillet on medium-high and spray with coconut spray. Add yams and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so, letting each side of the cubes to get charred. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover and cook another 5 minutes or until cooked, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl, add remaining ingredients and gently mix to combine. Serve warm or cold.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 6.0 g
Cholesterol: 5.0 mg
Sodium: 304.2 mg
Total Carbs: 36.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g
Protein: 6.4 g
WW Points+: 5