10 minute Mediterranean kale salad with dinosaur kale, chickpeas, bell pepper, avocado, tomato and feta cheese. I feel like I have seen this about 1,000 times but sometimes obvious isn’t so obvious to others. This raw kale salad is highly versatile and easy salad we make for dinners quite often. I always think of a main first, whether it is meat, fish or something vegetarian/vegan. Then a side dish is easy to come up with – I go through the jars in my pantry and pick what I have and what we didn’t eat recently. Also depending how much time I have on hand. Then me or Alex quickly make a salad.
Majority of our dinner salads do not even have a recipe. They are a quick throw of everything we have on hand together in a bowl and drizzling with avocado or olive oil, balsamic or white vinegar, salt and pepper. Alex’s salads are even less complex – he hands me a bowl of usually chopped greens, tomatoes and cucumbers to season or places it on a table not seasoned at all. Seriously, that guy is meant for everything but cooking, remembering things/names and banking. I see why he married me besides the perks of being 12 years younger. But I can forgive him that – Alex is a great man, so I will keep Alex.:)
I know there have been some speculations about kale on internet recently. Like kale isn’t good for us anymore. You know those websites that make news out of anything to get higher # of page views to make more $$$. I really filter everything I read online now. So, too much kale, like eating 1 bunch every day, may be can be not OK but really is anything too much OK? No, that’s right. So, let’s stay sane in this insane internet world and keep eating kale. And the longer you chew on it, apparently the better it is for you. Kale provides you with a rich source of vitamins and minerals and prevents cancer. When you chew or chop kale, enzymes in your liver are triggered to produce cancer fighting enzymes which disable cancer causing agents in your body. In addition, kale is full of potassium, calcium, Vitamin A, C and B6.
- 1 bunch of kale, ribs removed & thinly chopped*
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 any colour bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (omit for vegan option)
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Optional: pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Medium lime, juice of
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, add all Salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk Cumin Lime Dressing ingredients, pour over salad and toss gently.
*I prefer darker Lacinato (dinosaur) kale for this recipe.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 15.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 399.6 mg
Total Carbs: 29.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.9 g
Protein: 6.9 g
WW Points+: 7