Last week a reader asked me if I have a healthy oat bran muffins recipe. Her grandma used to make one with chopped dates. After a few tries I came up with my preferred version: whole wheat flour, organic high fibre oat bran, a touch of unsulphured molasses, mainly moistened with applesauce from my garden and bursting with raisins and walnut pieces. You can also use wheat bran or chopped dates.
My healthy oat bran muffins came out moist, with a coarse nutty texture of oat bran and running only 229 calories each versus 500 calorie bakery muffin. 100% organic too – “NO to GMOs”.
What a great idea to add these muffins to a snack rotation! More likely you will have all the ingredients on hand at any time, so no special grocery trip (I dread those with 2 kids in tow to grab a lime or a bunch of cilantro). Perfect for breakfast or school/work lunches. These bran muffins are super filling because of fibre and nuts. Enjoy!
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsulphured molasses
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flax seed, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates (not packed)
- 1/3 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (walnuts (I used cheaper pieces rather than whole), pecans, hazelnuts)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine Wet Ingredients. In another large mixing bowl, stir to combine Dry Ingredients. Add Wet Ingredients to a bowl with Dry Ingredients, gently mix just enough to combine. Do not over mix otherwise muffins won't rise properly.
- Add Add Ins and stir a few times. Distribute batter evenly between 12 openings of a tin (I used regular ice cream scoop) and bake for 17 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely. Do not leave muffins in a tin as they will over bake and become dry.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1 muffin:
Total Fat: 7.2 g
Cholesterol: 31.0 mg
Sodium: 161.4 mg
Total Carbs: 38.5 g
Sugars: 19.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.8 g
Protein: 6.1 g
WW Points+: 6