Good news is that if you are a pumpkin fan – you will appreciate hints of pumpkin in a cheesy pasta pot, and if you are not a pumpkin fan (like my kids) – you won’t taste it as much and can easily substitute with a can of tomato sauce. But I suggest you try making this one pot taco pasta with pumpkin because its fiber, potassium and vitamin C content are so beneficial for our heart health, and you can barely taste it. Not to mention creaminess of the dish without too much cheese, and pumpkin + taco seasoning are a match made in heaven, don’t you agree?!
What else is healthy about this one pot pasta? First of all, I used 4 cups of chickpea pasta which is far more nutritious than plain white pasta stripped of everything. Brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta would be all good choices. Secondly, I used only 1lb of ground turkey, and then “beefed up” our dinner with more plants – black beans, corn and avocado. And pumpkin, of course, it’s a very good plant. If you are vegetarian, substitute more beans for meat.
I hope you enjoy this true 30 minute one pot meal. It marks our first collaboration with Alex in husband-wife video recipe production that I mentioned before. So far, so good – we are still talking. If you are looking for more healthy easy dinners, check out my 18 healthy one pot meals and 30 healthy one pot vegetarian meals. And if you like anything taco, try my turkey taco soup and ground chicken tacos.
How To Make One Pot Taco Pasta
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 lb ground turkey*
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups corn, frozen
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can pumpkin puree**
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups whole wheat or gluten free penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup (4 oz) sharp hard cheese, shredded
- 3 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven on medium-high heat, add avocado oil, onion and garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add taco seasoning and ground turkey; sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking turkey into pieces with spatula.
- Add beans, corn, diced tomatoes, pumpkin puree, water, salt and pepper; stir and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, add avocado and stir; sprinkle with cheese and green onions, cover for a few minutes to let cheese melt. Serve hot.
*Substitute with another can of beans for vegetarian version. **Substitute with a can of tomato sauce if not a fan of pumpkin.