These chicken tenders are juicy, greasy and crispy. Like a junk food should taste, only 100% healthy and organic (in my case). Coconut flakes created this amazing crunchy crust that my kids couldn’t resist. For extra coconut-tiness I also rubbed the baking sheet with coconut oil. And what Ukrainian skips garlic?! Yes, I marinated chicken in garlic, salt and pepper for 15 minutes and it was amazing!!!
If you are like me and do not buy chicken tenders for health reasons, make these. They are even easier than traditional breadcrumb crusted ones, less ingredients. Chicken breasts or thighs work. I used Let’s Do Organic unsweetened and unsuplhured coconut flakes which are dirt cheap and I always have on hand.
We preferred these chicken tenders on their own, no dipping sauce. They were so flavourful and juicy, ketchup and mango ginger sauce I whipped up were just too much. Simple is the best, as always. Enjoy!
- 1.5 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 20 tenders
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 + 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 + 1/4 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- In a medium bowl, add chicken, garlic, 1 tsp salt and black pepper; mix and let marinate while you are getting other ingredients ready.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and using your hands rub large baking sheet with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl lightly whisk the egg. In a large shallow dish, mix thoroughly coconut flakes, garlic powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Dip each chicken tender in egg wash and then dredge in coconut flakes on both sides. Place on a prepared baking sheet and repeat this step with remaining chicken. If you run out of egg wash, you can either use another egg or just dredge in coconut flakes (that's what I did).
- Bake for 17 minutes, flip and bake for 5 more minutes or until golden crust appears. Please note, ovens and baking sheets vary. These time guidelines are good for a light aluminum tray. I also baked tenders on a dark baking sheet for 10 minutes on one side, and only 5 minutes on another. So, watch closely for golden coconut flakes on the sides and bottom. Do not use parchment paper, it will take forever to cook.
- Serve hot, as an appetizer or with a salad. I tried these tenders with mango ginger sauce and ketchup, and prefer them on their own.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 3 tenders:
Total Fat: 12.8 g
Cholesterol: 85.8 mg
Sodium: 571.1 mg
Total Carbs: 4.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.1 g
Protein: 28.1 g
WW Points+: 6