Yesterday I went to my local farmers market and got lots of apples. Today was cooking and photo day for my new eBook – 30 Clean Dinners that comes out on January 5, 2014. Obviously, it was a daycare day for Adam. Amongst total kitchen chaos and my 2 month old broken dishwasher (again), I thought of my neighbours, and all of us of course.
Our American friends celebrate Thanksgiving next week and I thought this Quinoa Salad with Apples, Cranberries, Pecans & Maple Basil Dressing would be perfect for their table. And for the rest of the world, OK and Americans too, it would be great for Christmas celebrations.
When it comes to cooking quinoa, you don’t have to ask me twice. It is ready in 10 minutes, is full of complete protein and other nutrients, and kids love it!
This quinoa salad with cranberries turned out nutty and crunchy, and of course sweet. And Maple Basil Dressing was incredible! Basil combined with the sweetness of apple, dried cranberries and maple syrup is OMG goooood.
We devoured this healthy quinoa salad for dinner. I imagine it would pair well with any poultry or pork. And almost forgot to mention, it is vegan, gluten free, wheat free, GMO free, dairy free. Did I miss anything?:) Enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa, dry (uncooked)
- 1/2 large Red Delicious apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained & chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened or sweetened
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Cook quinoa al dente. I like firm quinoa for salads, so I undercook it by 3 minutes and use ratio of 1 cup quinoa:1.25 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 more minutes. Fluff with a fork. Or you can cook it as per package instructions. Transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Add remaining Salad Ingredients to a bowl with quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Maple Basil Dressing Ingredients and pour over salad. Mix gently just enough to combine. Serve warm or cold. Pairs well with chicken and pork, or on it's own.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 11.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 168.0 mg
Total Carbs: 32.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
Protein: 5.0 g
WW Points+: 6