If you are like me and prefer to make a turkey stuffing on a side, this recipe is for you. On Thanksgiving I tried to stuff turkey with uncooked quinoa, dried cranberries and celery in hopes the stuffing would come out like this. Well, the turkey was awesome and the stuffing sucked! So, I decided to take it to a stove top and this time it got an Oscar.
I’m bringing this quinoa cranberry stuffing, my Easy Parmesan Mushrooms and a salad for a Christmas dinner with friends. I have to mention our friends are Italian who like to eat. Shocking, right?! She is making a sausage stuffing but asked me to bring this one too. I will, we will just roll down the street once the party is over.:)
As long as we don’t eat Stove Top it’s all good. And if you were thinking about it, I would like you to take a mental picture of the shot below forever! Seriously, is that even food? Wait, OMG it’s whole wheat with BHA and BHT. Who eats that?!
This year I found organic cranberries for $1.99 at my regular grocery store. I bought 5 bags and have been making cheesecake bars, chia jam (my kids love it => recipe coming soon) and this stuffing throughout December.
This cranberry quinoa stuffing is gluten free and can be vegan by choice. A dollop of butter at the end is a must finishing touch. Vegan buttery spread like Earth Balance will be great too although not sure how clean is that. I find many vegan replacements contain too many chemicals, so I stick to coconut oil when cooking plant-based.
This makes a great dinner side dish, not only stuffing. And that’s exactly how we have been enjoying it for a few weeks now because food blogging.
Happy Clean Eating Holidays!
- 1 1/2 cups white, red or tri-colour quinoa, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube*
- 1 tsp + a pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp salted butter or coconut oil***
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- In a medium saucepan, add quinoa, water and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 12 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, preheat large deep skillet on low - medium heat, add olive oil and swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic, saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium - high, add celery and mushrooms, and cook for 7 - 9 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally and more often towards the end.
- Add rosemary, water, bouillon cube (smash and mix it with water a bit), salt, pepper, butter, cranberries and quinoa; stir gently. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for a few minutes or until some cranberries have popped. Let stand 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot as a stuffing for turkey on a side or on its own.
*If not vegetarian or vegan, chicken bouillon works as well. **Use coconut oil or vegan butter spread like Earth Balance for vegan version. If adding coconut oil or unsalted butter add more salt to taste (recipe is based on salted butter).
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 3/4 cup:
Total Fat: 7.2 g
Cholesterol: 7.8 mg
Sodium: 572.9 mg
Total Carbs: 28.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
Protein: 6.0 g
WW Points+: 5