The story behind this shrimp orzo salad is that we ended up in front of a shrimp freezer in Fred Meyer and “3” kids kept chirping in my ear how wonderful it would be to enjoy cold shrimp at the beach. I saw no loopholes with wild caught shrimp but kinda overlooked the fact it wasn’t deveined or thoroughly cooked. Needless to say, we brought it home and I added it to this salad inspired by recent visit to a food co-op. Made with kamut orzo, organic feta cheese, fresh garden herbs and farmer’s market cucumbers, this salad is filling, delicious and more importantly cold.:)
I can’t believe this crazy heat! With 4 lakes within 15 minute drive and a nearby ocean, no wonder we have no hot destination plans this summer. In fact, we have planned 2 trips to WA seashore (cold but our kids love wild long beaches), Whistler mountain getaway with Alex’s work and adult trip to LA late September when temperatures cool down. Come winter, we have this urge to rent a place somewhere tropical and try to live a 3rd world life in comfort and GMO free. You know, white curtain in a window, wind blowing, morning coffee on a porch overlooking the ocean?! We have been watching Caribbean Life too much LOL. But seriously, any cool places ideas are welcome.
Anyways, back to the shrimp orzo salad. It is such a treat – it took me forever to finally track organic whole grain orzo. When I saw organic feta cheese, my heart stopped for 5 seconds. Unfamiliar organic labels, made in Greece and organic?! Am I dreaming?! And only $6?! A little of feta cheese goes a long way and it is smart to enjoy all dairy, even organic, in moderation. Save your money for organic produce.
Past weekend has been filled with more beach fun. I’m starting to love our beach getaways and more than than to share what we eat, drink, read and rub onto ourselves there. I recently realized why I love beach now again – first time in 9 years I do not have babies to worry about eating sand, their naps and hauling, strollers, bottles and diapers. I am starting to feel free again! I can go to the washroom all by myself without getting 2 whining boys ready for 10 minutes. I feel so adult and at same time young again LOL.
Left to right:
1. Dinner: organic brown jasmine rice, Life Choices grass fed wieners (not the cleanest but best I could find), steamed broccoli, and quick salad – kale from the garden, frozen corn, avocado and salsa.
2. Kids’ snack: yogurt (best portable organic I found so far but not ideal) and chia bar from Costco (it was OK). Organic sunscreen – it is Canadian but you can find similar Badger everywhere else. After extensive research this year, I run away from regular sunscreen with nose plugged even when people spray it near us. Got kids UV shirts, we stay in a shade, go to the lake after 3PM and wear only organic sunscreen if necessary.
3. Organic lemonade at the beach – Ukrainian in me comes out right here. I bought 2 big bottles of lemonade at Costco and trained kids to pack it themselves. They pour it in a thermos, bring an insulated mug with ice and mix it at the beach. Fun, cheap and much healthier than many other beach treats.
4. And I finished this book – amazing! Father kidnapped his 4 year old daughter for which he got arrested 28 years later. I couldn’t put it down to see what happens to him and the ending was more WOW than I could predict. In fact, Jodi Picoult and Lianne Moriarty are my favourite authors by far. What are yours?
Hope you are having a fun summer! I sure am as I learnt to live in the present moment.
- 1 1/2 cups kamut or whole wheat orzo, uncooked
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled, deveined & cooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 dill cucumbers, sliced
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- Cook pasta as per package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large bowl add shrimp, olive oil, lemon juice + zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- While shrimp is marinating, slice cucumbers, crumble feta and chop herbs and add to the bowl with shrimp. Add cooked pasta, gently stir and serve cold or warm.