I just returned from a food bloggers conference and firmly decided to eat more vegetables after speaking with an amazing holistic nutritionist. According to Marisa, only 15% of our daily protein intake should come from animal sources. Yikes… Frankly, I suspected that because for many past months I have been exercising a lot and eating very high protein diet without drastic changes in my physique. So, lesson learnt.
Of course, the menu always comes down to picky little eaters. My kids are very good at eating fresh juicy garden veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, snap peas, broccoli and celery (yay). But when it comes to cooked root and other vegetables we have a BIG problem (nay).
Although, cauliflower is on a kids’ good list, it really depends on a recipe. I thought of cauliflower poppers but I wanted to make a saucy quick dish a la easy cauliflower gratin, something I can lay over a whole grain. I had leftover organic whole wheat pasta in the fridge (a processed whole grain but not the worst) and thought if I panfry it until crispy and top with cheesy cauliflower, dinner time should be more or less peaceful.
This cheesy version of cauliflower gratin in a skillet form takes literally less than 30 minutes and is super easy. All made on a stove top, in one skillet. No other dirty dishes. First, you will have to saute the onions and garlic. Then make the sauce. Add cauliflower, cook for 12 – 14 minutes and broil for a nice golden crust. Delicious! My only regret was I didn’t have a bigger cauliflower because there was no leftovers whatsoever.
Enjoy and please let me know how you and your little ones liked this skillet cauliflower gratin!
- 1 small (1.5 lbs) cauliflower head, roughly chopped*
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour (I used spelt)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, low sodium**
- 3 tbsp cream cheese (I used full-fat organic)**
- 3/4 cup any cheese, divided (I used organic marble cheese)
- 3 tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat large non-stick skillet or a dutch oven on low - medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for another minute or until flour is well combined. Whisk in vegetable (chicken) broth and cream cheese, raising heat to medium - high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low - medium and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cheese and stir until melted. Add cauliflower and stir to mix, cover and cook for 12 - 14 minutes or until fork tender.
- Preheat broiler on High. Top skillet with 1/4 cup cheese and breadcrumbs, place under the broiler for 5 - 6 minutes or until golden crust appears. Serve hot as a side dish for meat and poultry, or as a main.
*This was all I had. I recommend to double the recipe, trust me! **I was out of milk that day but you can use 2 cups of milk of choice (cow's or unsweetened plant based) instead of chicken (vegetable) broth and cream cheese.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 9.4 g
Cholesterol: 16.3 mg
Sodium: 302.9 mg
Total Carbs: 18.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g
Protein: 11.6 g
WW Points+: 5