This easy appetizer recipe takes minimum preparation time, makes great finger food for parties and won’t hurt your waistline. Only 43 calories, 2 g of fat and 5 g of carbs per 1 tart.
Soft goat cheese flavoured with fresh rosemary and garlic, topped with crunchy pecans and sweet chewy craisins, all wrapped in a freshly baked crispy phyllo pastry.
You have to be careful with goat cheese, it’s fatty. To reduce the calories and increase protein I have added organic tofu. Spices and fresh herbs make up for lost flavours from the goat cheese and give the tarts mild savoury flavour.
I tried to make these with cottage cheese instead of tofu. They were good too. Make sure to drain the liquid from the cottage cheese with a good mesh strainer and don’t add salt.
I found Fillo Factory mini phyllo shells in the cookies/crackers aisle in Costco. I think you can buy them frozen as well. I hope one day they will start making them whole wheat.
- 3 oz goat cheese, soft
- 3 oz organic tofu, medium
- 1/4 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup organic agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 30 mini phyllo cups
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. In a bowl combine goat cheese with tofu and mash with a fork. Add chopped rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix.
- In another bowl combine chopped pecans, craisins and agave nectar. Mix just to combine.
- Place phyllo cups on a baking sheet and fill with approximately 1/3 tsp of goat cheese mixture.Top with approximately 1/3 tsp of pecans and craisins mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the phyllo cups turn golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Can be served cold.
Use two teaspoons for filling the phyllo cups - one tsp contains the filling on the tip of it and the other empty tsp is used for scraping it off into the phyllo cup. Can use finely chopped dried rosemary if you don't have fresh one. Freeze the tarts in an air tight container for up to a month. To reheat just pop them in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F for 7-10 minutes.
Servings Per Recipe: 30
Amount Per Serving = 1 phyllo cup:
Total Fat: 2.2 g
Cholesterol: 1.3 mg
Sodium: 40.4 mg
Total Carbs: 5.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
Protein: 1.2 g
WW Points+: 1