I did not have a pot roast recipe on iFOODreal until now because I never cooked one. For a million reasons. The biggest one because it seems such an Americanized recipe with an onion soup mix or whatever that is (you got me) that is against my clean eating religion. Then I rarely buy beef because my mom has been supplying us with venison. Venison needs special extra care so I didn’t want to mislead anyone saying recipe will work with beef. Well, it would definitely work but how it will taste I wouldn’t know.
So, I finally ran out of venison (until January), got tired of chicken and bought a 2 lb grass fed rump roast. Quality beef is expensive so I rarely buy it. However, to make a tasty roast you can pick up the cheapest cut like chuck, rump or bottom round roast. It is just hard to find in my neck of the woods. I cannot even find humanely raised pork.
So, I literally told that roast once I put you in a slow cooker and cut the oxygen, you better come out awesome. It took me 5 minutes to whisk all ingredients together, I closed the lid and prayed for long 5 hours. My prayers were answered and this slow cooker balsamic pot roast came out dastish-fantastish!!!
The meat was not fall of the bone because there is no bone and because I had to shred it with 2 forks. It was shreddable for sure but the longer you keep the roast cooking more tender roast will be. Just common sense. Once you dunk it in the the vinegary slightly sweet rich sauce and stir that is when heaven begins.
I served slow cooker balsamic pot roast with mashed potatoes for those who do not care if they will get fat. And for those who do I made cauliflower mashed “potatoes”. Nothing beats saucy flavourful meat on top of mashed something!!! That is such a winter comfort food in my clean eating books.
- 2 lbs rump (chuck or round) roast
- 1 cup chicken (beef) broth
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg’s)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- In a large slow cooker, whisk together broth, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, mustard and garlic. Place roast in the centre, scoop a few spoonfuls of the sauce on top and cover. Cook on Low for 8 - 10 hours or on High for 4 - 5 hours.
- When meat is cooked, open the lid and using 2 forks shred the roast directly in the slow cooker or on a cutting board. Stir together with the sauce. Serve hot with real mashed potatoes, faux cauliflower “mashed potatoes” or on whole wheat buns.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 14.7 g
Cholesterol: 73.3 mg
Sodium: 518.9 mg
Total Carbs: 6.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
Protein: 29.6 g
WW Points+: 7