This slow cooker chicken spaghetti was mind blowingly easy and delicious. 150th thousand time I got convinced that simple food is the best food ever! I slap my own hands quite often when I start adding a little bit of this and that. God forbid to brown butter…
No need to make your life harder, America! When I first came to Canada, I was thinking “wow, fancy food they eat here” while flipping glossy cooking magazines. And never made a single recipe. Why? Because the ingredients list was so darn long, I was scared. I just never had all the ingredients on hand.
So, here we have fancy complicated magazine recipes and restaurant meals and on the other side we have packages of dry and frozen 5 minute crap. Big gap in between, if you ask me. Every physically mobile human being should be able to chop and cook simple meal. It’s no rocket science. For example, this crockpot chicken spaghetti.
Recently we got new cable and there is a cooking channel Gusto. One of my favourite shows is some Mediterranean cooking series. So simple, fresh and beautiful. Makes me wanna sell my house, 2 cars, throw out cereal, move to a distant Greek village to cultivate my own potatoes with 80 year old grandmas, then eat lunch outdoors, have a glass of wine and pass out for siesta. Dream life!
Anyways, there was a Greek chef who studied at culinary school in New York, got sick of complicated cooking and moved back home. He says he uses same 5 ingredients to create different 10 dishes. That’s my boy! That’s what I’m saying.
Onions, garlic, celery and carrots with a can of tomato sauce, a few chicken pieces and good old spaghetti. Whole wheat in my case but could be gluten free in yours. No pre-browning required and the meal cooks for good 8 – 10 hours. So no need to call home and ask kids to turn the slow cooker off.
Seriously, who makes 4 hours on Low crock pot recipes? Why? The point of slow cooker is to cook it slow while you are gone. And in case you don’t own a slow cooker with a timer, just plug it into one of these and no need to buy a new fancy slow cooker.
This slow cooker chicken spaghetti really reminded me and Alex of childhood. My grandma made similar spaghetti but with poached and then ground beef. As a kid, I hated it because it was dry without the tomato sauce. We just didn’t have any available. It was called “Sailor’s Spaghetti” because I guess sailors didn’t have many ingredients on hand, just like my grandma.
I hope you enjoy this crockpot chicken spaghetti. My kids couldn’t get enough. They would eat pasta every single day! This recipe makes a lot. You can either cut it in half or freeze the leftovers.
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp oregano or basil, dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3.5 lbs chicken thighs, skinless & fat removed (bone in or out)*
- 10 oz spaghetti, whole wheat or gluten free if necessary
- 1/3 cup parsley, dill or scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- In a large slow cooker, add carrots through black pepper and stir. Add chicken and make sure it's covered with sauce. Cover and cook on Low for 8 - 10 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred into pieces using 2 forks (remove and discard bones if necessary). Switch slow cooker to High and place chicken back. Add pasta in a bunch and let the bottom part of spaghetti soften for a few minutes. Then you can push it all in the slow cooker. Alternatively, you could brake it in half to fit all in right away. Give a few stirs to separate the noodles and mix with sauce. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes (less amount for GF pasta, especially brown rice) or until pasta is cooked. Sprinkle with parsley and cheese, serve hot.
*Chicken breasts would work too.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1 + 1/3 cups:
Total Fat: 7.0 g
Cholesterol: 119.5 mg
Sodium: 881.0 mg
Total Carbs: 32.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.6 g
Protein: 33.1 g
WW Points+: 8