You can pull off this Slow Cooker Taco Soup Recipe only with the ingredients from your pantry and freezer, and with minimal effort because it cooks itself in a crockpot. For toppings use what you have. Even if you don’t have any, this soup will be delicious on its own.
My kids love Mexican food (I think most kids do) so I kept the soup mild, just with a bit of a bite that they can handle. For my 3 year old I even watered it down more in his bowl to tone down the spiciness.
I always keep ground turkey and huge bag of organic corn from Costco in the freezer. My pantry is always stocked with canned organic tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, from Costco as well. I cook and freeze organic dried beans in batches. By the way, would you like me to post how I do that? Saves so much money!
Feel free to throw in another lb of ground turkey for a higher protein dish or substitute meat with 15 oz can of beans for a vegetarian version. You can also freeze the leftovers of this Slow Cooker Taco Soup Recipe for up to 6 months. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground turkey, extra lean*
- 3 x 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 x 15 oz cans red kidney or romano beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups corn (frozen is OK)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning, all natural
- Non-fat greek yogurt, cheese, cilantro and green onions, for garnish
- Organic tortilla chips, for garnish
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium - high heat and add turkey. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking into pieces.
- Transfer turkey to a large slow cooker along with tomato sauce, beans, corn, water, onion powder, taco seasoning and stir. Cover and cook on Low for 7 - 8 hours or on High for 3 - 4 hours. Garnish with desired toppings and serve hot.
*You can add another lb of turkey for a higher protein dish or substitute meat with 15 oz can of beans for a vegetarian version.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 2 cups:
Total Fat: 2.4 g
Cholesterol: 22.5 mg
Sodium: 919.6 mg
Total Carbs: 43.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 11.6 g
Protein: 23.6 g
WW Points+: 7