This slow cooker vegetarian lentil soup is made only with vegetables, and is perfect for real life when your fridge drawers have to be cleaned out and you wish you could just throw everything in a crock pot and go to work. If you leave house early, you can prepare all ingredients in the evening and just plug in the slow cooker in the morning. And with this kind of lentil soup, the longer it cooks, the better it gets – potatoes and lentils get their chance to break down, making soup creamier and heartier.
I used zero salt, adding soy sauce instead for an umami flavour that meat broth based soups have. You would never guess this soup is vegan, and it’s so filling. My kids called it “the best soup ever”, and that is before I topped their bowls with tortilla chips. Soup season is here (although in my house it is year round), turn on your slow cooker (extra ideas: 8 healthy slow cooker soup recipes) and go enjoy beautiful Fall days!
How to Make Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lentil Soup
For this slow cooker vegetarian lentil soup I like to dice the vegetables instead of chopping. I also like to add corn to many soups because it adds sweetness, especially since it’s one of affordable organic vegetables sold in Costco => my healthy Costco shopping list.
All ingredients get dumped in a slow cooker, no onions have to be sautéed. Instead of a vegetable broth, I like to use organic vegetable bouillon cubes sold in many grocery stores – they are cheaper than cartons and I don’t have to worry about an open carton not fully used and going bad.
To make soup hearty and creamy without cream, insert an immersion blender and give a few pulses until your desired texture. Don’t forget to stir in between the pulses. Garnish with whatever your soup heart is set on that day – mine changes its mind every time, because I’m a girl?!:)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 4 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1 tbsp organic garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg liquid aminos)
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 9 cups vegetable broth*
- Garnishes: green onion, cilantro, parsley, Greek yogurt, cheese, tortilla chips
- In a large slow cooker, add all ingredients, except garnishes. Cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-5 hours (with this soup longer is better).
- Discard bay leaves and peppercorns. Using immersion blender, pulse a few times until desired texture - I like creamy with chunks. Garnish and serve hot.
*Alternatively you can use 2 organic low sodium vegetable bouillon cubes (like GoBio brand sold in many grocery stores) and 9 cups of water.