My proof for stir fries is in numerous unique and healthy stir fry recipes I have made over the years: cabbage and carrots stir fry, buckwheat stir fry, frozen vegetables stir fry, broccoli mushroom stir fry, salmon stir fry and healthy beef stir fry.
Healthy soba noodle stir fry is a no brainer. Just combine some protein, vegetables and healthy noodles, and you are good to go. Soba noodles are quick to cook, usually made of a whole grain like buckwheat, which means they provide more fiber than wheat or rice noodles. Stir frying these noodles with a bunch of kale and other vegetables is a huge benefit. Also if you can find organic soba noodles like I did that would be great. I paid only $0.80 per package.
If you are not familiar with soba noodles, here is what they look like. There is usually 5 bundles per package.
Here is a closeup. My boys love it! My husband could eat it every day but I don’t make it every day. And Alex doesn’t have time to cook…
You can really make it without carrots…Substitute them for mushrooms or broccoli, or snap peas…Use whatever you have. It’s simple…
Add more noodles if you are serving more kids (as they need more carbs) or generally a bigger company. Use 2 lbs of chicken if you wish, no problem. I tried to keep it high protein with lower in carbs.
- 3 bell peppers, medium & any colour, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced in rounds
- 5 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, medium, crushed
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Splash of water
- Sesame seeds & chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes, crushed
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse well under cold water to prevent sticking. Be careful not to overcook! Set aside.
- Preheat wok on medium high and add 1 tbsp sesame seed oil. Add 1/3 of crushed garlic and 1/2 of grated ginger. Stir fry for 10 seconds. Add chicken and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally & draining the liquid. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of sesame seed oil, 2/3 of crushed garlic and 1/2 of grated ginger. Stir fry for 10 seconds. Add kale, bell peppers, carrots and water. Cover and cook until vegetables are crisp tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small bowl whisk with a fork all ingredients and set aside.
- Add the reserved noodles and sauce to the wok. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until the noodles are warmed through. Serve immediately with sesame seeds, green onions & extra soy sauce.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per 1 Serving = 2 cups:
Total Fat: 8.6 g
Cholesterol: 55.0 mg
Sodium: 1,033.2 mg
Total Carbs: 53.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1 g
Protein: 37.1 g
WW Points+: 11