Happy Meatless Monday everyone! I made this Spinach Lentil Soup last night and updated the photos of this recipe from last year. My kids ate all of it, even picky 3 year old.:) This soup is vegan, vegetarian and gluten free. Virtually 0 fat, low in sodium, cholesterol and full of complex carbs. Make for dinner tonight and have lunch ready for tomorrow.
Meatless Monday is an international campaign that began in 2003 with a goal to encourage people to not eat meat on Mondays. Focusing on your own health in turn improves the health of the planet. I’m in! Are you? I already had a personal Meatless Friday after weeks of irresponsible indulgement of piroshky and other unaudiable goodies during my mom’s visit (but hey, I made peanut butter salmon with miso). Embarrassing? Yes. Guilty? No.:)
I could call this Spinach Lentil Soup Italian as it is my neighbour’s, Liliana, recipe. She is Italian and possibly one of the best cooks in the world. I have tried this soup before and loved it right away. She was kind enough to share the recipe with me last week while we were watching the hockey game and trying my dessert experiments.
One of them was Easy & Skinny Pumpkin & Black Bean Cake. By the way, the original recipe is hers as well. It was interesting to watch her face trying this cake as it tasted different from the original… LOL.
Going back to Spinach Lentil Soup…It’ super easy to make. What else? I always rinse my grains, meat, veggies, fruits including melons and bananas. So, rinse your lentils.
I used organic green lentils that are a great source of vegetarian protein. With about 30% of their calories from protein, lentils have the third-highest level of protein of any legume or nut, after soybeans and hemp. Lentils are also full of fiber, folate, vitamin B1 and a good source of iron. They do not require much soaking like many other beans, which makes them convenient for quick night vegetarian meals like this easy green lentil curry or a bit more labour intensive but still delicious chicken and lentil casserole.
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 6 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat large pot on medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and add garlic and onions. Saute until translucent. Add carrots and celery and saute for 5 more minutes. Add lentils and saute for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes. Add spinach, remove from heat and let stand covered a few minutes. Serve warm garnished with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per 1 Serving = 2 cups:
Total Fat: 0.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 375.0 mg
Total Carbs: 23.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.4 g
Protein: 9.8 g
Weight Watchers Points+: 3
Weight Watchers Points: 2